Transporting a dog from Argentina to California

Another important thing is to keep in mind is the airline you choose and the reputation they have for flying animals. My vet told me Aerolineas Argentinas are terrible and she recounted some pretty horrible stories to me so it's probably better to avoid them. We are flying Lufthansa and from the research I have done, they have an excellent reputation.

Hi Noruega,
I am in the middle of organising my dogs flight to Europe and no, you don't have to use a transport company. I went to my local vet who happens to have experience in this and she told me that once I am clear on the European laws, I can get all the necessary paperwork done here myself and the dog could be transported without any transport company getting involved. This is possible as the dog will be travelling with us, on the same flight but I don't know if this is the same if your dog has to fly cargo (your dog would need to be pretty huge to have to fly cargo). Each airline has different guidelines though so it's worth researching what your specific airline requires.
Slyie,

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate this. It was the impression I had from reading different places, but not sure after seeing the above mentioned post. We have already been in touch with Air France and they didn't say anything about an agency, but great to have it confirmed here. (It is my friend's dog actually, I am just helping.) The dog will fly as "excess baggage" which costs EUR 200, and then of course the fees to the vet, Senasa, etc. Merci!!!

On numerous occasions I have brought my dog in the business cabin on Copa Airlines. When I started booking the other day I noticed that animals are no longer available in Business ONLY Coach. Has anybody flown Copa and found this to be true?

Hello, rehashing an old post regarding me moving an Argentine born dog to the US. We are relocating and moving our entire family (including our pup).

Anyone have any recent experience here traveling to the states (specifically California) with an Argentine born dog? Our pup is a 30lb mix border collie (rescued street dog).

Any recs, experience, or resources would be helpful :)

I used to fly from DC to BA with my two dogs, shipped as extra bags in the plane with me. Never had trouble with AA or United.
A few pointers:
--Make sure to change planes in the US when and where temperature is not too cold or too hot. In the past, sometimes planes waited on the runway for a long time and some dogs died, so the airlines set strict rules about that.
--Put an unwashed t-shirt or pillow-case in the crate - the dog will feel reassured by the familiar smell.
--Try to check in the crate an hour before boarding, then take the dog outside until the final boarding call. That saves them an hour in the crate.
--Don't give your dog any tranquilizers - dogs have poor temperature control and need to pant and shiver when it is too hot or too cold. They travel in a special hold right under the flight deck, climatized like the main cabin but without lights.

Best of luck to you and your dog, and bless you for adopting a stray into your family....!

Back