trapped in argentina

This was on the Canadian embassy website: it describes the OP's scenario to a T:

Canadian-Argentine dual nationals may enter and leave Argentina on their Canadian passport only if their stay does not exceed 60 days. Once this period has elapsed, Argentine citizens must leave on a valid Argentine passport. The Argentine passport application process is lengthy, and the Embassy of Canada is not able to assist Canadian citizens in obtaining Argentine passports or other identity documents.

cujodu said:
Yes, all very interesting nonetheless. I have a friend who's aunt is a US citizen, but was born here and he verifies the 60 day rule as she is currently here visiting for over 60 days. Luckily she has her Argentinian documents as well. Maybe mcc made a run for the border and doesn't have internet access anymore. Bet he won't make that mistake again.

Let's say the aunt was born in 1940 and became a US citizen in 1967. By the rules then prevailing in the USA, she automatically renounced Argentinian citizenship when she became an American. That the US subsequently relaxed the rules and allowed dual citizenship should not affect her status as a citizen of just the USA. Yet she must produce Argentinian papers if she stays for over 60 days. Now take an Argentinian who becomes a German citizen: this involves automatic renunciation of Argentinian citizenship. So the Argentinian authorities cannot insist on Argentinian documents. In short, the rules that the Argentinian authorities apply to foreign nationals born in Argentina depend on whether the adopted country allows dual citizenship. It makes no logical sense.

When you renounce your foreign citizenship in one country, another country does not have to recognize it and can still treat you as own citizen.

igor said:
When you renounce your foreign citizenship in one country, another country does not have to recognize it and can still treat you as own citizen.

I've been trying to write this & my paragraph have been so long and unwieldy. You've written it beautifully!! :D

igor said:

In the German case, for example, can the German government not claim that one of their nationals is being detained for no good reason? After all, the German government does not have a system of dual nationality.

May be, I am not familiar with German laws:) . I will not be surprised if as long as this person is on Argentine soil, Argentine laws will prevail.

To avoid this kind of ambiguities

American citizen can enter and exit USA only using his American passport.
Russian citizen can enter and exit Russia only using his Russian passport.

When people above talk about showing two passports, only one passport is actually used to enter the country. Another one is just a reference to show what other countries you stayed at/visited and what was your status there.

bigbadwolf said:
In the German case, for example, can the German government not claim that one of their nationals is being detained for no good reason? After all, the German government does not have a system of dual nationality.

Is is the text from the US state department, but it is relevant to all courties:
The laws of some countries provide for automatic acquisition of
citizenship after birth. For example, a U.S. citizen may acquire
another nationality merely by marrying a citizen of certain foreign
countries. In addition, some countries do not recognize
naturalization in a foreign state as grounds for loss of citizenship

despite the fact that one of the requirements for naturalization in
the United States is a renunciation of other nationalities.

igor said:
. . . . American citizen can enter and exit USA only using his American passport. . . .
A comparatively minor point, but, as yet, there is no "exit control" in the United States. No American citizen need show his passport to federal authorities in order to leave the country.

igor said:
May be, I am not familiar with German laws:) . I will not be surprised if as long as this person is on Argentine soil, Argentine laws will prevail.

I would be surprised: some international law would be contravened and the German government could legitimately claim one of its citizens was being unlawfully detained.

American citizen can enter and exit USA only using his American passport.
Russian citizen can enter and exit Russia only using his Russian passport.

As a dual national, I do the same thing myself.

bigbadwolf said:

III. American-German Dual Nationality

1. Both the United States and Germany recognize the concept of multiple nationality.
  2. A child born to an American parent and a German parent acquires both American and German citizenship at birth, regardless of place of birth, if the parents satisfy the jus soli or jus sanguinis requirements of their respective countries. See the sections above entitled, "Basic Primer on American Citizenship Law," and "Basic Primer on German Citizenship Law." Neither country requires a person born under these circumstances to choose between American and German citizenship, i.e., he/she may keep both citizenships his/her entire life.(Etc.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pmacay Expat Life 2
Back