Travel Restrictions to Mexico or the US

Edmund Pickett

Registered
I've been a lockdown prisoner in Argentina for a year but am planning an escape.
I would like to visit Mexico and then go the the US. I'm a US citizen with Argentine
residency. I know there are official websites at embassies listing the polices and regs
but they change frequently and aren't always enforced. I'd like to know current info
on what is happening in the airports now. I don't have a covid-19 vaccination and I'm
not holding my breath on that.

Mexico is open to tourists - it has remained open all throughout the pandemic. You can book flights from EZE to MEX with Aeromexico.
The US continues to be open to its citizens and some tourists. Various airlines are operating flights.
You won't need a COVID vaccination although depending on where you are going, you may need to do a PCR test 72 hours before your flight and carry the results with you. This rule is the minimum requirement for most destinations that are open nowadays. You can arrange the test with most private labs here in Argentina.
To return to Argentina you will need to do a PCR test 72 hours before your flight regardless of origin and will need to carry the results with you. Obviously, you'll need your DNI to be allowed back in.
Safe travels.

The US requires now requires a negative test for ALL arrivals by plane, US citizens included: "PCR or antigen test performed by an authorized laboratory, hospital, or pharmacy." If you are entering the USA via Mexico, you can get the antigen test at any pharmacy for about $20US, getting a PCR test is a little more complicated and expensive. If you are going to a resort town, some hotels are including the PCR test a part of your stay, and a few of the larger airports in the country also offer testing but expect to be charged accordingly.

I've been a lockdown prisoner in Argentina for a year but am planning an escape.
I would like to visit Mexico and then go the the US. I'm a US citizen with Argentine
residency. I know there are official websites at embassies listing the polices and regs
but they change frequently and aren't always enforced. I'd like to know current info
on what is happening in the airports now. I don't have a covid-19 vaccination and I'm

Why are you a prisoner? There have been flights ever since Covid lockdowns started. There were many charter flights. I don't understand your comment.

Reactions: Moe
No test needed to fly into Mexico. I believe there's a questionnaire to be filled out but not certain who gives that to you. You must have a negative PCR test result with 72 hours of flying into the States.

just a note. the airlines are the gate keepers for whats needed to fly with them to whatever destination. they are responisble if you are refused at you destination.

Mexico is the place to be, if you are an US citizen. Very easy. Just went to PV and had a great time, they do not check anything.
just need to fill an online form and bring the copy w you. You turn in your form at custom, they throw into the trash can directly.
The clubs are open and restaurants are open, they do not care and they do not test unless someone is really sick.
You will be disappointed if you think they care, they do not. Welcome to Mexico. If gringos stop going to Mexico, there will be a lot
of starving people. With nice warm weather, the virus is not that bad. Also the number of infected people in US went down dramatically,
I would say it's safe, relatively. I went to Mexico 3 times in last 6 months. Everyone is there.

Mexico is the place to be, if you are an US citizen. Very easy. Just went to PV and had a great time, they do not check anything.
just need to fill an online form and bring the copy w you. You turn in your form at custom, they throw into the trash can directly.
The clubs are open and restaurants are open, they do not care and they do not test unless someone is really sick.
You will be disappointed if you think they care, they do not. Welcome to Mexico. If gringos stop going to Mexico, there will be a lot
of starving people. With nice warm weather, the virus is not that bad. Also the number of infected people in US went down dramatically,
I would say it's safe, relatively. I went to Mexico 3 times in last 6 months. Everyone is there.

so no distancing in restaurants? no masks?

so no distancing in restaurants? no masks?
Take PV for example, most restaurants are open and have outdoor space,
for those do not have outdoor space, they keep their tables apart by whatever the distance, sometimes
maybe 4-5 feet. You sit there, suddenly a large Mexican family sit next to you, maybe by 6 feet,
But there are 15 of them, drinking and talking next to you. Mexican waiters all have a standard plastic
cover (not a mask), basically cover their saliva from coming out to you, but does not cover their mouth
and nose, and they think that's good enough and safe. It's a transparent cover used in high end kitchen.
On the streets and beach front, most people wear masks, but some do not care, maybe 20-30% people
do not wear a mask, there is not much you can do about that.
Inside Uber, the drivers always wear masks, especially when they see you come in to their cars with a mask,
they feel embarrassed and grab their masks too.
The rules are just like the ones in US, but some of the people just ignore that. It feels safe in general, especially
if you stay at the big international hotels, they are only allowed to open at 50% or 25% of capacity, and their
restaurants are safer, pools are bigger, many hotels have their own beach. A little confined , but still better than staring at your
partner at home and try to kill each other during COVID lockdown. My lawyer friend said her business is booming during COVID,
many filed for divorce or domestic violence.
When you come back to SFO, you are trying to ask border officer a question, he would ask you to stop and keep 6 feet away.
Very different.

Last edited:
Mexican gov implemented a protocol that they think it's bulletrproof. It's the same in every city, from Tijuana to Mexico City.
Before entering any restaurant or club or office, they check your body temperature, and make you use their hand sanitizer, then ask you to
jump into a shallow rubber container with soap water, that will "kill the virus you have brought with you", they think.
The hand sanitizer is pretty of low quality, after you rub it in your hand, it does not evaporate well. It's more like liquid soap crap. After you use it,
you hands are wet and slippery pretty much forever, you have to wash your hands with water to get rid of the stickyness,

Back