Traveling from Ar. to Brazil through Iguazu

polaris

Registered
Argentina to Brazil:

Later next month we are traveling to Brazil. Does anyone know if it is an easy process to get a visa and enter Brazil from Argentina. We are planning to stay in Brazil for 2 months. We are US Citizens.......

We have an alternative option to pass from Uruguay to Brazil through Chui.

If anyone could give us some insight or information on what to expect we'd appreciate it. Thanks.....Ken and Becky

Hi. I went through this process before, so I'll tell you what I remember.

- You have to go to the Brazilian consulate in downtown BA and apply for a Visa. Can't remember the address but it wasn't hard to lookup or find. Tiny elevator takes you up to the immigration floor where you apply and get info. They have a computer there that you can use to make out the application. When you're done, it gets sent to one of the agents at the windows. Or you can fill out a form and take that to a window. If you make a mistake or don't have all the right stuff, you can leave and come back to continue on with the same application.
- You can also apply in Montevideo, Uruguay(which is what I ended up doing) and it's the same process as what you'd get in BA, just shorter lines if you're lucky. It'll still take a minimum of a couple days though and personally, I'd get it all done in advance in BA. Love Uruguay though and it's a nice country to travel through.
- You need to have a passport photo taken by a local photo store and I suggest getting at least 2 copies. There's a photo shop very close to the consulate if you haven't had them done yet. Again, find out through the internet what is required and make sure you get it done right. Cost me 12 pesos to get my photo taken as I remember.
- You'll need to take your passport with you and be ready to give it up for a few days. It takes a minimum of 3 days I believe and you have to give up your passport while they attach the visa (paste it onto a page). You'll get additional stamps when you enter and leave the country.
- There is a fee for the Visa depending on where you're from and this has to be paid in cash. I suggest looking up the consulate on the internet and finding out how much it costs so you can have the exact amount ready. I had to have the cash in Pesos and the exact amount.
- After the visa is attached, you come back to pick it up. If it's not ready, you come back again. So... don't wait until the last minute.
- You must have a return ticket (by air or Bus) into and out of Brazil when you apply (at least I did). They will also ask to see a major credit card as proof that you have access to cash. Also be prepared to fill out info about where you live in the states or anywhere else. They don't check the info from what I could tell but who knows.
- The visa I got was good for 90 days and was a single-entry visa. If you step out of Brazil during that time, you have to wait until the visa expires before applying again. It's possible to get a multiple entry visa if required but it costs more.
- Travel inside Brazil without a Visa would be very difficult. I noticed that when I bought Bus tickets, they would copy the info from the Visa page rather than the photo page of my passport. Visa info was also checked by hostels or hotels I stayed at.
- When I entered Brazil by Bus, the helper guy came around and collected all of our passports before we got to the border. We never had to get off the Bus but some agents did come on to check around while were at the border crossing. Our passports were returned eventually and had been stamped. When I left Brazil it was the same sort of thing and I was less nervous about giving up my passport. I heard from other travelers that this is normal procedure.
- Fees for Americans can be more expensive and difficult to get. I saw an American guy freaking out at the immigration office and it wasn't pretty to listen to as he was getting the run-around and expected better service I guess. Yelling at office workers isn't going to make you popular from what I could see. They were all very polite to me but also very strict.
- When you first enter the country they'll want to know your destination and address of where you'll be staying, at least for the first night. Make up something credible if you don't want to be honest but the truth is they just want some info and don't check up on you from what I can tell. Just be prepared with this info even when applying for the Visa as it can be awkward if you just say "I don't know, I was just gonna hang out wherever". That's what I said and it didn't go over well.
- You can cross into Brazil at Iguazu in a limited way without a Visa. It's so you can see the other side of the falls basically. This is the key way that people slip into and out of Brazil if they're crazy enough to try. If you get caught in Brazil without a visa or entry stamp, it's likely you'll go to jail, get deported or fined.

Brazil is a lot of fun and you'll love the food if you like Ham, Cheese and Beans. Learn a bit of the language before you go. Never trust people you meet on the street as a rule. I spent 3 months there and had a great time overall. Northern East coast was the the most interesting.

Back