traveling to BA -- bring electronics to sell?

theeconomist

Registered
I am traveling to BA for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was thinking it might be worthwhile to bring down something like an iPhone 4 that I could presumable resell in BA for more than I bought it for at home.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Where could I sell it?

I'm not talking about a suitcase full, just an item or two that have been used only enough to assuage the suspicion of customs at the airport.

Any insight would be appreciated. Gracias!

Bringing a few small things would easily be doable - a cellphone, ipod, etc will not cause any raised eyebrows. Just be careful selling it once you get here & make sure you either know the buyer or meet him/her in a public place.

I've made a fair few quid bringing in xbox 360 games and selling them. They're light and for the newest/most popular ones you can make a good profit. There is no recognised market in Argentina, so you can't find them in stores. As such there is high demand.

If you want a place to sell these or even any other electronic products, try ego360.com.ar You can even take pre-orders at agreed prices, if you like.

Smcali23 -- Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't (yet) speak spanish, so I'm having trouble navigating the site.

citygirl -- good idea

Is craigslist as good a place as any to try to sell things? Is there a more popular alternative?

Thanks again!

theeconomist said:
Smcali23 -- Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't (yet) speak spanish, so I'm having trouble navigating the site.

citygirl -- good idea

Is craigslist as good a place as any to try to sell things? Is there a more popular alternative?

Thanks again!

I have purchased items from people visiting Buenos Aires recently paying a slight mark up of the MSRP. I think this is your safest bet in selling items here on the local market. Craigslist or mercadolibre have the potential to be time consuming and have the potential to be a security concern.

You will more than likely be paid in 100 peso notes which is the common currency that is counterfeit. All this being said, small Apple items like the IPad, Apple laptops or the latest IPhone or ITouch would probably go quickly.

Lastly, I would check mercadolibre to see what the going price is for an item that you might want to sell here.

Hope this helps.

Ahh - very true. ego360 is q bit hard to navigate if you don't know Spanish.
The above poster, who suggested mercadolibre.com.ar to check prices, offers good advice.
It's basically Argentine ebay, in case you hadn't heard of it, so it should be easier to navigate.

Personally, I'd also suggest selling there, although I can understand why other people are a bit hesitant. I have bought/sold items on mercadolibre on many occasions without an issue. You can do the same thing as I did in the UK, stating that you won't sell to people with less than a certain amount of good feedback, which reduces the risk. And, as stated above, choosing a public place to complete the transaction is also good advice.

Oh - by the way, again from a personal point of view, I would definitely bring electronics to sell. You can make a ridiculous mark up if you do your research.

Here's an example. Last time I was in Europe I decided I'd sell some electronics upon return and checked out prices on mercadolibre. I saw that 2nd hand Gameboy advances (a 10 year old product) were being sold for stupid prices here. So I bought three for 4-6 pounds each on ebay (UK) and sold them on mercadolibre here for 40-50 pounds each. It may be small change, but it wasn't a bad deal IMO!

Just look around, there are some good opportunities to make money.

I have brought in just one trip; Blueray player, PS3 remote controls, games, watches,computer, internet tablet. I passed through EZE as if i just had the clothes on my back and i have done this often....so relax and bring whatever you please

It's always a good idea to take the stuff out of it's packaging so that it looks used...for Aduana that is.

Back