Traveling To Bariloche

TomAtAlki

Registered
We are going to Bariloche the week before Christmas. I am trying to figure out transportation so a few questions:

If we take a bus, what is the best bus line?

Has anyone had any luck traveling on a discounted plane ticket purchased by a Portino for them? Is it even possible to travel on such a ticket?

I've found a train from Viedma to Bariloche that looks very interesting. Has anyone taken it and how was it? How was the train from Buenos Aires to Viedma?

Lots of questions. Would really appreciate any answers or other suggestions re travel to Bariloche.

We used Andes Mar many years ago, but now use Via Bariloche. They are very good generally. Or fly. There are daily flights. I don't know on using a national's ticket. Sounds sketchy. The airline or airport officials would probably ask for your DNI''s at some point and when you didn't have them you'd likely have some explaining to do. Plane tickets can sometimes be cheaper than the buses now. We have never taken any trains. Argentina doesn't really seem to run on rails much anymore... literal and pun intended. Good luck and have a great trip!

Is the train to viedma still running? I thought the closed it for track damage. I've done both the bus and the plane. On the bus I picked the cama coche class on via bariloche and found it to be comfortable and clean, at least till about an hour out of ba at which point I downed a large sedative with the complimentary espumante and woke up 15 hrs later in bariloche. Saved about 300 pesos over flying and a night in a hotel (200 dollars). Recently I flew with Aerolineas and the flight was quite predictably 3 hours late and then when we landed there was no power at the airport..... I think we paid about 200 usd as foreigners. Check the cyber monday sale from LAN.

We are going to Bariloche the week before Christmas. I am trying to figure out transportation so a few questions:

If we take a bus, what is the best bus line?

Has anyone had any luck traveling on a discounted plane ticket purchased by a Portino for them? Is it even possible to travel on such a ticket?

I've found a train from Viedma to Bariloche that looks very interesting. Has anyone taken it and how was it? How was the train from Buenos Aires to Viedma?

Lots of questions. Would really appreciate any answers or other suggestions re travel to Bariloche.

I did the train trip between viedma and Bariloche is a nice trip but very slow and long, the train have restaurant, cine and some other amenities, is very cheap but not as comfortable as a bus to sleep much better than the train from Buenos Aires to Bahia Blanca.
The train that go from Buenos aires to Viedma is right now only going to Bahia Blanca the rails from Bahia to Viedma are in repair or out of use, i once use that train 5 years ago to go from Bahia Blanca to Buenos Aires and was ok and for the incredible low price not bad, but i hear that now a days is in bad conditions still if you pay the best class maybe is ok but is not so good idea because you will reach Bahia and from there you will have to take a bus to Viedma and there combine with the train there is to much hassle and take a good time (the only good think is that it is much cheaper but is exausting to do that many combinations and it take a lot of time)

viabariloche.com.ar is the best bus service, the tutto letto service even has wifi. For residents the flights are cheaper, but you will most likely get caught out if checking in luggage - there is a thread on this forum somewhere about flying with resident discount.. I don't take the bus these days as a resident its cheaper to fly... If you have the chance to choose, fly with LAN not Aerolineas.

The train is long and slow and only runs about once a week, it's cheap but is prone to breaking down or having problems. the not really helpful website can be found here: http://www.trenpatagonico-sa.com.ar/esp/index_2.html

"For residents the flights are cheaper, but you will most likely get caught out if checking in luggage - there is a thread on this forum somewhere about flying with resident discount.."

I saw that thread but was looking for an update. We are NOT checking any bags.

I would fly .... its much safer, especially in high season when the bus drivers are working all hours and reduced breaks. In addition the petroleros in Neuquén and Rio Negro are planning to block the routes over the holidays, no doubt to cause max inconvenience.

The train would be great but its slow, uncomfortable and might not run.

Enjoy your trip though!

Thanks all, we decided to rent a car, drive there and back, take a bit more time.
Nancy

Back