Traveling To Cuba From Argentina.

SleazeMerchant,

It seems you spent 320 CUC a day , all inclusive.

I went to xe.xom and converted 320 CUC to US$, it comes out to just 12 us$. Is that correct? Or are their some hidden costs or some other conversion rates?

What do you mean, " I split the house and rental three ways?" do you mean, you just paid 1/3rd and you had two friends with you, sharing costs?Thanks.

No, unfortunately that is not correct. 1 CUC = $1 USD. So quoted in USD, about $320 USD, but even this is not accurate as you cannot exchange USD straight up for CUC even though the official exchange rate is 1-1. Exchanging any currency there is a buy/sell spread, so you lose a bit there; in addition, if you were to actually exchange USD cash you would pay an additional 10% surcharge to get CUC. As such you are better off bring CAD or EUR cash. If you were to pay a hotel bill with a USD denominated credit card from an Uruguayan or Panamanian bank, for example, you would be charged in USD at the 1-1 rate. Also, keep in mind that only visa/plus network cards work to withdraw CUC from ATM machines.

Yes, I was with two other people on the most recent trip so the prices quoted for the house, car, and driver were the amounts that I actually paid.

I would estimate I spend 100 CUC day lodging, 40-50 CUC food (eating lobster/shrimp/ fish every meal except breakfast), 50 CUC transportation (rental car, driver), 40 CUC drinking/entrance fees. Add 40-80 CUC/day for "leisure activities" if that is your sort of thing. Keep in mind I split the house and rental vehicle three ways. The most recent trip was for three nights in late January 2013.

40-80 CUC/day for leisure activities seems exhausting :D

Also an alternative to renting a car is taking a taxi (one of the modern taxis). It requires a little bit of negotiation ...

Another alternative is to hire a guy with a car instead of renting a car. That's what we do.

Understood on the passport not being stamped in Cuba, but going out of, and back into Argentina would be stamped, no?

So if examined closely, your passport would show a block of time between exiting Argentina and returning back, where there is no country being represented as where you were.

Any issues/concerns with that?

Understood on the passport not being stamped in Cuba, but going out of, and back into Argentina would be stamped, no?

So if examined closely, your passport would show a block of time between exiting Argentina and returning back, where there is no country being represented as where you were.

Should be no problem with that and is in fact quite common

A dual national will leave Bs As with their Arg passport and enter Spain for example with their Spanish passport. Their Arg passport will be stamped in BS AS and they will have no other stamps in their passport.

To be on the safe side you could (if flying with Copa) go through immigrations in Panama and get the entry stamp. Panama does no stamp you passport upon leaving the country. So it would look like you went on a Panama vacation.

Back