Travellers to be quarantined on arrival

There are people arrested for violating the quarantine . This is a obligation under Argentinian law that must be respected
I fear it will only be respected if there is strict enforcement and immediate detention (incarceration).

Those who violate the order should live in fear of being locked up and not getting out befoore the crisis has passed (possibly six months to a year).

Last edited:
Health Alert: U. S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina

Event: The U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires strongly encourages all U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Argentina and advises U.S. citizens with plans to depart Argentina to do so as soon as they can while commercial flights remain available.

· - As of Tuesday, March 17, all direct commercial flights between Argentina and the United States will be suspended for 30 days.

· - The U.S. Embassy is aware that some hotels are not allowing travelers to check-in despite having a reservation.

· - The U.S. Embassy is aware that some hotels are not allowing travelers to leave within their 14-day quarantine period despite having confirmed departure flights.

· - The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens with plans to depart Argentina to do so as soon as they can while commercial flights remain available.

Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice from both the national, provincial, and local governments.

The government has enacted a 14-day quarantine period for all travelers arriving in Argentina who have visited a country with sustained transmission, including the United States, all countries in Europe, China, Japan, South Korea, and Iran. This applies to any person arriving in the last 14 days prior to the issuance of this requirement. Travelers must provide an itinerary and residence in Argentina and undergo a medical exam to determine their susceptibility to COVID-19. Visit the website of the Argentine Government (in Spanish) for additional information on these new measures.

If U.S. citizens are not able to depart on a direct flight from Argentina, the U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to explore options for departing via other air routes as well as land or maritime border through a neighboring country.

Actions to Take:

· - Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.

· - For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.

· - Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.

· - Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.

· - Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Argentina.

· - Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.

Assistance:

· U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina

Av. Colombia 4300

(C1425GMN) Buenos Aires

Argentina

(54-11) 5777-4533

(54-11) 5777-4354 (after hours)

[email protected]

https://ar.usembassy.gov/

· State Department – Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

· Argentina Country Information

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

Follow us on Facebookand Twitter

I fear it will only be respected if there is strict enforcement and immediate detention (incarceration).

Those who violate the order should live in fear of being locked up and not getting out befoore the crisis has passed (possibly six months to a year).

Reality Check just called, they need you there ASAP.

Our prisons are already overcrowded and stuff (potentially and probably) stupid sick people is not a great move.

As soon as the situation gets out of control in our incarcerated population - a matter of months, at best,- it's going to get rough for all of us.
Some Mensa wannabe will likely suggest we start releasing interns.

Iz

Do you really believe that the police wants to deal with potentially infected people and put them into the same prison as uninfected criminals?
No, I don´t "really" beleive the police want to deal with potentially infected people. They probably don´t want to deal with potentially armed criminals, either, but that´s their job.

Doctor´s and nurses don´t "really" want to deal with people who are actually infected, but that´s also their job.

Please point out where in my post that I suggested that anyone violating the quarantine should be put in the same prison as uninfected criminals.

I wouldn´t be surprised if the vast majority of those who violate the quarantine would test negative for the virus.

If they don´t have the virus, I beleive they should go to jail. If they do, they should be isolated until they test negative, and then they should go to jail.

PS: Yesterday, the police in Punta Alta were conducting "normal" roadside checks for DL´s, registration and insuraance. When asking for the docs they are undoubtedly close enough to catch the coronavirus from an infected person, but they were just doing their job.

I wonder if the computer system the police are using to perform these checks (anywhere in the country) have been or could be updated with a list of recent arrivals in Argentina who are subject to the quarantine.

Though I doubt those names are in the system the police use to perform the roadside checks, I really beleive it would be great if they could be.

As long as some people don´t believe there will be any negative consequences for breaking any laws, they will undoubtedly continue to do so.

PS to my previous post:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn´t the purpose of the quarantine to try to at least delay and/or reduce the spread of a deadly disease?

If that´s the case, I believe that anyone who violates the quarantine and, as a result, infects another person who then dies, should be subject to far greater prosecution than just violating the quarantine.

Last edited:
Please point out where in my post that I suggested that anyone violating the quarantine should be put in the same prison as uninfected criminals.

My bad. Where are you suggesting to put them? Concentration camps?

I wouldn´t be surprised if the vast majority of those who violate the quarantine would test negative for the virus.
If they don´t have the virus, I beleive they should go to jail. If they do, they should be isolated until they test negative, and then they should go to jail.

Only few people who are expressing symptoms and have increased risk to be infected are getting tested. In the USA there are people who had been tested negative first, and tested positive a week later (when in isolation). There are people who don't have any symptoms and test positive.

In the absence of effective testing procedures, what you are suggesting is not possible.

Hey y'all. new here but I've been trying to follow along with the ever changing climate regarding COVID-19. Down in Rio Gallegos right now.. have a ticket booked to fly into BA in aeroparque for the 30th and then onward from EZE to orlando the 31st to get back home. I work in national parks and need to do paperwork for my job on April 1st. I've had these tickets for a while now as I've been In country for a few months. The airlines keep saying that my flights aren't impacted by the virus. If what the embassy is saying is true, then I won't be able to fly home on the 31st if I don't change all of my tickets to leave in the next 48 hours? It specifically says direct commercial flights will be suspended for 30 days. I'm wondering if this pertains to me because my flight has a connection in Lima. Does that qualify as a direct flight? Should I be concerned and pay the 1000$+ to make the flight changes? Latam wasn't much help. They just want more of my money. No mention of a waiver.

PS to my previous post:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn´t the purpose of the quarantine to try to at least delay and/or reduce the spread of a deadly disease?
If that´s the case, I believe that anyone who violates the quarantine and, as a result, infects another person who then dies, should be subject to far greater prosecution than just violating the quarantine.
I know this may sound quaint, but bringing back the public stocks, medieval as it may sound, might be a very good solution. A few hours on display chained in a wooden stock in the public park would be cost effective, of a very low danger to others, and definitely and dramatically get people's attention and likely co-operation. Avoiding the problems with incarceration.

Back