Travelling to Brazil with DNI and without passport

orwellian

Registered
Can Argentines with DNI travel to Brazil by plane without a passport? Thanks.

It is my understanding yes.

As a member of the Mercosur, supposedly one only needs a national ID to travel between Mercosur countries.

Now, I don't have direct experience of Argentine DNI holders doing this, but my wife's family has various members who travel back and forth to Brasil from Paraguay with their Cedula, which is the Paraguayan national ID.

ElQueso said:
It is my understanding yes.

As a member of the Mercosur, supposedly one only needs a national ID to travel between Mercosur countries.

Now, I don't have direct experience of Argentine DNI holders doing this, but my wife's family has various members who travel back and forth to Brasil from Paraguay with their Cedula, which is the Paraguayan national ID.

I think the man from Ipswich has just posted a trick question. While the documentation required to move from the one country to the other may only be a DNI, the documentation required to move through an airport could well be a passport. I refer back to my experience of Ushuaia here... http://baexpats.org/expat-life/8693...at-should-i-carry-case-check-2.html#post58482

elhombresinnombre said:
I think the man from Ipswich has just posted a trick question. While the documentation required to move from the one country to the other may only be a DNI, the documentation required to move through an airport could well be a passport. I refer back to my experience of Ushuaia here... http://baexpats.org/expat-life/8693...at-should-i-carry-case-check-2.html#post58482

The request was about an Argentinian traveling with a DNI. My wife, before she was a resident here, has flown between Buenos Aires and Asuncion more than once using her Cedula (i.e., didn't have to have a passport). The Mercosur doesn't seem to have a prejudice if you are Paraguayan going to Argentina or Brasil vs Argentinian going to Brasil, and whether or not it's by plane or crossing the border by bus or car (or foot).

The content in the referred thread is a bit different, from what I understand, having to do with foreigners traveling within the country without passports and whether those foreigners needed their passport at Ushuaia airport.

Mercosur residents, while of course still foreigners, are a bit above a regular foreigner in terms of status in other Mercosur countries.

I went to Chile (by air) from BA a few years ago with my DNI (temporary as I have a one year temporary rentisa visa). I was refused entry by Chile because my DNI was not permanent. Chile insisted that I use my passport to enter. Chile is only an associate member of Mercosur. Though I suspect it was the temporary DNI that was the real problem. I would be very curious to see if anyone with a temporary DNI can enter Brasil.

I'm not sure what associate Mercosur status would mean as far as the difference between a permanent DNI and temporary, but I'm pretty sure that even in Brasil you would be denied entry on just a temporary DNI. I believe it would have to be a minimum of a permanent residency for entry, and even that some have disputed, saying that it has to be a citizenship DNI, not a residency (even though permanent) DNI.

ElQueso said:
I believe it would have to be a minimum of a permanent residency for entry, and even that some have disputed, saying that it has to be a citizenship DNI, not a residency (even though permanent) DNI.

The person who was barred at the barrier at Ushuaia (but argued their way through) in my earlier example had permanent residency but not citizenship. So I guess it's not a clean, clear example from which a precedent could be drawn.

orwellian said:
Can Argentines with DNI travel to Brazil by plane without a passport? Thanks.

I understand that native Argentines can travel to any adjoining country (sharing a border) with their DNI. This is not necessarily true for foreign DNI holders - immigration officials often check the place of birth and turn them back.

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had experience going in to Ciudad del Este from either Brasil or Argentina on a temporary DNI?

I had the strange experience of crossing in to Chile from El Calafate and the border guard not taking my DNI and saying only when it's permanent one and
forcing me to use my passport while leaving Chile, not remembering and giving my DNI at the crossing on Tierra del Fuego and them not saying anything,
stamping me out with it and in turn without an exit stamp in my passport.

I was wondering if it was more clear since Paraguay is MERCOSUR and if DNI + Passport means no visa needed.

Thanks!

Back