Trouble finding contratistas / planners ?

PaulBee

Registered
My apartment became vacant nearly 4 months ago. I want to do some upgrading and repairs.
Nothing major. So far, my property manager has unable to get a contractor who´ll show up
and follow through with a presupuesta, let alone get plans drawn.

Is this normal in B Aires now ?

I would have thought contractors would be happy to make a connection with a large
established realtor during these hard times.

Last edited:
It is pretty surprising here. We are in a very deep economic crisis, but at the same time it is very hard good professionals. And those who are good, they have more than enough work. Especially constructors and carpenters are hard to find. What is almost impossible to find are calderistas. What is also new (at least in my case), that a lot of contracts are now directly in USD. As I made the deals in the midst of the turbulences this June / July, this is something that I think is convenient for both parties. Another thing that also surprises me that if a certain work is either too small or too inconvenient for a professional, they either directly say no or they don't show up later. But they never increase fee or price for their work. So if 10'000 for a certain work is not interesting for you, why wouldn't you demand 15k, 20k, or 30k? At one point it would become interesting.

So your intuitive conclusion that in "these hard times contractors would be happy to make a connection" is not what I see. However, I still believe that a good property manager should have these kind of contacts, especially for smaller renovations.

My apartment became vacant nearly 4 months ago. I want to do some upgrading and repairs.
Nothing major. So far, my property manager has unable to get a contractor who´ll show up
and follow through with a presupuesta, let alone get plans drawn.

Is this normal in B Aires now ?

I would have thought contractors would be happy to make a connection with a large
established realtor during these hard times.

If the "large established realtor" is your property manager, then that's probably the issue right there. I see you've been a member of this community longer than I have, by a few years, so presumably you know BsAs. But it has been my sad experience that real estate people here are the scum of the earth.

If the "large established realtor" is your property manager, then that's probably the issue right there. I see you've been a member of this community longer than I have, by a few years, so presumably you know BsAs. But it has been my sad experience that real estate people here are the scum of the earth.
It is pretty much the same across the globe. Some worse than others.

I only have my own experience to go by. However, due mainly to problems with property "managers", I would not recommend people be absentee landlords in Buenos Aires, unless they have a lot of confidence in some one who can manage their properties. Property managers are not generally good, but I would say that situation is worse in Buenos Aires than in most places.

It is pretty surprising here. We are in a very deep economic crisis, but at the same time it is very hard good professionals. And those who are good, they have more than enough work. Especially constructors and carpenters are hard to find. What is almost impossible to find are calderistas. What is also new (at least in my case), that a lot of contracts are now directly in USD. As I made the deals in the midst of the turbulences this June / July, this is something that I think is convenient for both parties. Another thing that also surprises me that if a certain work is either too small or too inconvenient for a professional, they either directly say no or they don't show up later. But they never increase fee or price for their work. So if 10'000 for a certain work is not interesting for you, why wouldn't you demand 15k, 20k, or 30k? At one point it would become interesting.

So your intuitive conclusion that in "these hard times contractors would be happy to make a connection" is not what I see. However, I still believe that a good property manager should have these kind of contacts, especially for smaller renovations.
Thanks for that informative reply. In my case, the property manager seems good at getting intercoms, or leaky faucets, ec. fixed. It is too bad about the shortage of good contractors though.

Latest quote by a plumber to change a leaky faucet gasket (cuerito) $7000 pesos for labor and materials... OMG
Materials were $300 pesos.. However to loosen the faucet stuck for 35 years required a huge 1 meter wrench key...

Back