Tucker Carlson in Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny- I cant think of a single Argentine friend of mine that thinks Milei is exactly what Argentina needs.
I think that less than one third of the vote is hardly what "we all " think.
I know almost no expats- all my friends are Argentine- and they range from 20 to 80 in age, and include doctors, lawyers, escribanos, architects, choreographers, owners of retail stores, book designers, photographers, chefs and restaurant owners, psychologists, writers, recording engineers, musicians, artists, clothing designers, industrial designers, university professors, furniture builders, drag queens, maté growers, blacksmiths, and even a guy who has a machine shop.
Nobody I have talked to supports Milei.
I am not in BA right now, and I am sure, when I am, I will find various taxistas and kiosco owners who do like Milei, but in general, I would say support for his policies is far from universal.

Funny- I cant think of a single Argentine friend of mine that thinks Milei is exactly what Argentina needs.
I know almost no expats- all my friends are Argentine- and they range from 20 to 80 in age, and include doctors, lawyers, escribanos, architects, choreographers, owners of retail stores, book designers, photographers, chefs and restaurant owners, psychologists, writers, recording engineers, musicians, artists, clothing designers, industrial designers, university professors, furniture builders, drag queens, maté growers, blacksmiths, and even a guy who has a machine shop.
I am not in BA right now, and I am sure, when I am, I will find various taxistas and kiosco owners who do like Milei, but in general, I would say support for his policies is far from universal.

Are you friends with poor people who have been hurt by inflation? Those are the people voting for Milei at a greater rate than anyone else. The bourgeoisie - doctors, engineers, escribanos, etc - are mostly doing fine. They own their homes, cars, take vacations, etc.

Most expats prefer more of the same. Cheap peso.

Are you friends with poor people who have been hurt by inflation? Those are the people voting for Milei at a greater rate than anyone else. The bourgeoisie - doctors, engineers, escribanos, etc - are mostly doing fine. They own their homes, cars, take vacations, etc.

Most expats prefer more of the same. Cheap peso.
everybody feels the inflation. Many of my friends in the art and music worlds live on five hundred US a month. No, I dont know many people who live in Villa 31, but I would hardly call all these people "bourgeoisie".
My impression was that many of the rich were in favor of Milei- they certainly supported Macri.
my friends range in age, income, and barrio. But I guess they are all "liberal", certainly by US standards.

everybody feels the inflation. Many of my friends in the art and music worlds live on five hundred US a month. No, I dont know many people who live in Villa 31, but I would hardly call all these people "bourgeoisie".
My impression was that many of the rich were in favor of Milei- they certainly supported Macri.
my friends range in age, income, and barrio. But I guess they are all "liberal", certainly by US standards.

The upper middle - upper people that I know here seem to be mostly for Bullrich. They see Milei as too much of a wild card, an unstable personality, too extreme when he talks about even organ trafficking should be legal.

The upper middle - upper people that I know here seem to be mostly for Bullrich. They see Milei as too much of a wild card, an unstable personality, too extreme when he talks about even organ trafficking should be legal.
They just enjoyed the cheap entertainment of watching Bullrich use the gendarmería to beat up on the Mapuche.

His Milei interview now has 358 million views. I'd say that's proof that he is going to be around for a long, long time.
He may be around for a long time, but not in a well-paying prestigious job.

When public figures are done for in their home country, they tour Latin America where anyone from the US (or Europe) is treated as a guru.

In this case, being American is enough to get Carlson attention. The locals don't know he's been kicked out of Fox News, and discredited.

Last edited:
His Milei interview now has 358 million views. I'd say that's proof that he is going to be around for a long, long time.

This is hard to believe as the youtubbe video has only one million views . There seems to be a dark hand behind this candidates rise to power in Argentina and the reasons are clear if you understand Argentinas geographical position and natural resources °

He may be around for a long time, but not in a well-paying prestigious job.

When public figures are done for in their home country, they tour Latin America where anyone from the US (or Europe) is treated as a guru.

In this case, being American is enough to get Carlson attention. The locals don't know he's been kicked out of Fox News, and discredited.
He was fired from the Fox News because of the way he presented the Ukranian conflict, which was deemed inconvenient by the people in charge.

Discredited? I must have missed that detail. Who discredited him?

I believe that after that, he got in the same category as Assange and Navalny. Now, it seems there is all the corporate news media on one side, and Tucker Carlson on the other, whether you like him or not.

it's clearly not universal. massa got what, 20%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Redpossum Expat Life 2