TV SOS help! how can I watch my shows??

Greg2231 said:
What I have found that works best for me is to have a two router setup, with the second router connected to a VPN provider in the US, I use Strongvpn.com. Then anything you connect to the second router either by wireless or wired gets a US IP address. I have a ROKU hooked up to my second router, and am able to stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, and loads of other channels without a problem directly to my TV.
I have used the hotspotshield and I was able to watch the first episode but now I got a bunch of ads on the top of my screens.but I am wathing the tv on my laptop:confused:..obviously I am not very versed on technology so I am trying to get in gear...I think what you are saying about the router makes sense...now gotta figure out the vpn thing....yikes!

Postmodernchild said:
I have used the hotspotshield and I was able to watch the first episode but now I got a bunch of ads on the top of my screens.but I am wathing the tv on my laptop:confused:..obviously I am not very versed on technology so I am trying to get in gear...I think what you are saying about the router makes sense...now gotta figure out the vpn thing....yikes!
Yah the 2 router setup is working out great for me, however it does require a little tech know how to get it all setup and running right, I had to flash the second router with dd-wrt open source firmware, and then using the router web interface I entered the settings that I got from Strongvpn, also I ended up switching VPN servers a few times to get the fastest connection I could , but have been on the same server for awhile now with no problems.

Greg2231 said:
What I have found that works best for me is to have a two router setup, with the second router connected to a VPN provider in the US, I use Strongvpn.com. Then anything you connect to the second router either by wireless or wired gets a US IP address. I have a ROKU hooked up to my second router, and am able to stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, and loads of other channels without a problem directly to my TV.

What's the benefit of two routers, vs using the VPN router as your only router? And how do you use two - does your internet connect to the first, and then the first connects to the second (which I assume is the VPN router)?

And YEAH on Roku - this has been my plan, but I had yet to find anyone using a Roku in BA.

BAwithkids said:
What's the benefit of two routers, vs using the VPN router as your only router? And how do you use two - does your internet connect to the first, and then the first connects to the second (which I assume is the VPN router)?

And YEAH on Roku - this has been my plan, but I had yet to find anyone using a Roku in BA.
There is a few reasons that I went with a 2 router setup

First it was easier, as I have DSL and it would have been more complicated to setup one router to log into my DSL account, and also make the VPN connection, also my other router is a hybrid with 2 VOIP accounts built in, so i still needed it.
Also there is some bandwith loss when going through a VPN, so the 2 router setup helps with that by leaving most of the traffic off the VPN .
Yah the first router connects to my DSL modem and it is setup up to log into the DSL account and then the 2nd router(the VPN one) just plugs into an Ethernet port on the first, with my Roku then plugged into the 2nd router.

Thanks Gregg - just what I wanted to know! This makes complete sense, and I have been a little worried about setting up my VPN router to Argentina internet (I'm not a techie) - we're actually not coming to BA until August, but I want my kids to have a little comfort of home through TV.

BAwithkids said:
Thanks Gregg - just what I wanted to know! This makes complete sense, and I have been a little worried about setting up my VPN router to Argentina internet (I'm not a techie) - we're actually not coming to BA until August, but I want my kids to have a little comfort of home through TV.
No Problem, Strongvpn and others sell routers that have been already flashed with dd-wrt and preconfigured with the VPN settings. The 1 thing to remember though if you are renting is that you will need a fast internet connection for this to work, and most rental apartments come with slower connections. i have a 5mb DSL connection from speedy, and it works fine for me, except when netflix tries to streem in HD, it is about 50/50 that it will have to re-buffer and drop down to 4 dots instead of HD, though the quality at 4 dots is still very good.

Greg2231 said:
No Problem, Strongvpn and others sell routers that have been already flashed with dd-wrt and preconfigured with the VPN settings. The 1 thing to remember though if you are renting is that you will need a fast internet connection for this to work, and most rental apartments come with slower connections. i have a 5mb DSL connection from speedy, and it works fine for me, except when netflix tries to streem in HD, it is about 50/50 that it will have to re-buffer and drop down to 4 dots instead of HD, though the quality at 4 dots is still very good.
Gregg

what is that I need to buy in the US to make this happen?? any particular device?? thanks and I am not a techie so bear with me...but I will get this done at some point:D hard headead Italian blood here
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postmodernchild said:
Gregg

what is that I need to buy in the US to make this happen?? any particular device?? thanks and I am not a techie so bear with me...but I will get this done at some point:D hard headead Italian blood here
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For a 2 router setup, for the 2nd router you will need a router that supports VPN, any router with dd-wrt firmware will work, dd-wrt can be flashed on many routers below is a link to a list. I am sure you could find one in BA that would work at of course a slightly higher cost of course, also you could buy a preconfigured router below is a link to a site that sells them. If you want to have a Roku you will have to buy that in the US.

http://vpnfreedom.com/category/vpn-router/

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Just to throw another option to the mix; we use a Slingbox. It's not a replacement for the other solutions discussed here, but another alternative to watch your TV or DVR 'back home', here in AR or anywhere you travel.

We have been using this for years with good results. The Slingbox is attached to our cable and TiVo back in the States, and we connect to it from the web and watch live TV or any of our recorded programs. We use it mainly for local news, channel surfing and a few DVR'd programs. Obviously, for this to work you need to buy the box and have a place (wherever your from), with cable service and Internet to install it (e.g., your own home, a relative's, or a friend's).

But for movies or other TV shows, we use iTunes to rent or buy and playback on our HDTV here. As long as your iTunes account is registered to your country of origin, there's no need for proxies or VPNs to access the content.

Back