Type Of Power Converter Needed?

CiscoR

Registered
I am about to head down to BA and wanted to know what is the type power converter would I need for electronic power cords (coming from US)? Should I purchase up here or are they easily found and reasonable price in BA?

Most likely you don't need a power converter. check the back of your electronics transformer and see if they say 100-240v for input. if they do then you are all good. you will just need some simple adapters for the plug and you can buy those here very cheap.

Laptop and cell phone chargers have a 110-240v legend on them. That will only leave you with the need to buy an adapter so you can actually plug it in. You will find those very cheaply here. If you buy it there you'll probably get a kit with plus from all over the world (extremely overpriced) and it's likely that you might not even get the one you need for here anyway (it looks like the Aussie one but it's different, maybe Aussies can explain). Unless you're going to need to plug something something with no AC adapter, you're better off coming without it and buying the plug adapter for $50 on Florida street.

This has gotten a lot easier in recent years. I remember having to lug a small but nevertheless heavy transformer with me, in addition to the appropriate adapters.

These are my favorite things here...

prolongador-zapatilla-multiple-4-tomas_MLA-O-96941494_8278.jpg

I must have 20 of these...

If you must buy a voltage/amp converter do it in the states as they aren't cheap/heavy here. I paid 199,99$ ARS for mine which I needed for my XBOX.

Adapters are NOT voltage/ampage converters so be sure to check or else fried electronics could be in your future.

The Euro adapter is good to have but not always the best since old plugs in some homes/hostels/hotels are Arge/Australia only

While it is true that a lot of electronics is designed to run on either 120 or 240 volts, and can adjust accordingly, you better be damn sure that the item you are using is one of those before plugging it in with just a plug adapter.

What you need for bigger US type 120 volt electrical devices is not a "converter"- its a transformer.

and I think you are much better off buying one down here. you write down the info on the nameplate of your us device, then you march on over to Casa de Transformadores, and they will set you up. Your transformer has to be big enough to supply your needs. Which means you need to know the amps or watts your device requires.

I have no problem with things like my apple computer- just get the proper adapter, or an apple travel kit.
But on my US model sewing machine, for example, I use a locally sourced transformer. I actually brought down a really inexpensive home stereo from the USA- $150 at best buy- and run that on a transformer, too. A similar model in buenos aires is three times the price, easy. and the transformer cost maybe 20 bucks. For things like US model hair dryers, or blenders, you need a transformer.

http://www.alamtec.com.ar/servicios.htm

These are my favorite things here...

prolongador-zapatilla-multiple-4-tomas_MLA-O-96941494_8278.jpg

I must have 20 of these...

Me too. I have 4 in my office alone! Only problem is after awhile, if you plug and unplug things, the thin little metal strips they use inside get a little bent or out of place and suddenly you start having problems making a connection in individual plugs and then the whole strip dies. But while they work, they're great!

A funny story about these. Not too long ago (a year or so maybe?) the government passed a law that made it illegal to sell these because they offered so many possibilities. I went to an electronics shop down the street to replace one that was having plugging problems and didn't see any for sale at first. The owner had them back behind the counter for people who specifically requested them. I asked what the deal was and he told me about the law, and that he actually had inspectors coming by to make sure he wasn't selling them!

According to him, the law was trying to force people to use all the same plug type instead of the two most common (the two-stud round poles and the 45-degree angled slots, the latter of which is the settled-on standard). Never mind that people keep and repair things here as long as possible in many cases and who doesn't have something that doesn't still have the round pole-type! And I bought a Gateway laptop down at Galeria Jardin on Florida about a month ago - that still had its US-style plug (the two parallel and one ground stud) as part of the transformer. Heh.

It seems that, like with many things here, enforcement was taken seriously for a month or so and now everyone's forgotten all about the law as they are common place and easy to find...

ANd to add a little more detail, don't count too much on having 'Earth' in your wall power down here. Most of the time you'll get a reading of 110v-120v - 'false' ground .... This is something most people will never have to think about but sometimes it produces it's well known effects on your electronics....even if it doesn't protect you much, try to buy a Surge protector for 240v. It's a small amount of insurance.

EDIT: Also, if possible, when ever there's a power outage/blackout, I'd strongly advice that you disconnect from the wall outlet - all your valuable electronics....this is until they have safely turned the power back on -NOT BEFORE. Sometimes when the power gets turned back on , there will be an over voltage supply (surge) or a shorter duration spike. I always make sure that my equipment is plugged in such a way that I can easily DISCONNECT everything QUICKLY at a moments' notice. And no, simply switching things off without unplugging from the wall will not protect you every time.

What does a surge protector look like? The ones below don't seem right. I've only ever bought power strips with surge protection built in, but I haven't seen that here, just the white one posted above.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/protector-contra-sobretensiones

Back