U$D vs Pesos hit 4.3 to 1 yesterday!

Aside from the annoying ads, DolarHoy is one of the most popular sites here to track the exchange rates at different banks: http://www.dolarhoy.com/ --- Click ver "VER COTIZACIONES", then "DOALR USA" at the top.

They also keep a daily history of rates, that goes back years. Click "CIERRES ANTERIORES", then DOLAR under the year you want to look up.

barnaby33 said:
As a derivative/bonus question what is the average spread that the Casa de cambios charge in BSAS?
In normal situations, the spread is usually between 3-4 %, that is the difference in price between buying and selling.

Purcy said:
In normal situations, the spread is usually between 3-4 %, that is the difference in price between buying and selling.

Some of the places on Reconquista around Peron (plus or minus a side street) have more of a 1-2% spread.

Example: Buy 4.055, Sell 4.085/4.095

I'm pretty sure that that's just a razor thin line, but not 3-4%.

French jurist said:
A SAFE bet (we'll check in one or two weeks the validity of this bet :D) would be to buy Euros now. Since the Fed did not intervene, it is very likely that the EUR could reach 1.50.
In fact, if someone wants to be against me that the EUR will reach 1.50 during next month, I welcome it :rolleyes:.

With OBL's death, my bet might fail...

Happy 4.1 everyone!

If you have pesos, all dollar denominated goods are more expensive.
If you have dollars, well the peso is still over valued and there is huge inflation so almost everything is more expensive.

Yay!

My rate of exchange through a contact is 4.28 pesos to the dollar a large difference from the official rate . Saying that my buying power is much less than 2009 as inflation in dollar terms has been close to 40 % .

French jurist said:
While there's no doubt that the US dollar will go down for the days & possibly weeks to come (there was a press conference 24 hours ago by the US monetary committee/FOMC = Bernanke didn't give many clues but QE2 is to stop + inflation is likely to increase soon in the US), the situation in the UK is tied to inflation, economic recovery and to the fight inside the UK monetary committee between the doves & the hawks.

If the GBPUSD had kept its position today above 1.6700, likely this could have triggered a bullish rally... But it failed.

A SAFE bet (we'll check in one or two weeks the validity of this bet :D) would be to buy Euros now. Since the Fed did not intervene, it is very likely that the EUR could reach 1.50.
In fact, if someone wants to be against me that the EUR will reach 1.50 during next month, I welcome it :rolleyes:.

These predictions are from the end of April and don't look too good at the moment 2 weeks from when they were made. The pound is now at 1.61 and the Euro at 1.41 down from about 1.48 at the time. Whats driving this today is as there won't be a QE3 for now and the suddenly very shaky looking commodity markets. A lot of people are bailing from commodities as they are being viewed as increasingly risky. All this is dollar positive for now. If commodities really tank, a good possibility in my opinion then the dollar will likely gain a good deal against other currencies. I think that those who acquire dollar based investments will do very well over the next couple of years. If this occurs the dollar will probably appreciate significantly against the peso, making B.A. less expensive for those with dollar incomes.

gouchobob said:
These predictions are from the end of April and don't look too good at the moment 2 weeks from when they were made. The pound is now at 1.61 and the Euro at 1.41 down from about 1.48 at the time. Whats driving this today is as there won't be a QE3 for now and the suddenly very shaky looking commodity markets. A lot of people are bailing from commodities as they are being viewed as increasingly risky. All this is dollar positive for now. If commodities really tank, a good possibility in my opinion then the dollar will likely gain a good deal against other currencies. I think that those who acquire dollar based investments will do very well over the next couple of years. If this occurs the dollar will probably appreciate significantly against the peso, making B.A. less expensive for those with dollar incomes.

Indeed, wrong bet. I would have cut my losses on 5/2 (my message that day).
I'm running a simulation on MetaTrader and for now it's like a rollercoaster :p

Back