U.S..Citizens - why did you move to Buenos Aires?

"Ries" said:
Cities in the USA are much more dangerous, full of hustlers, drug addicts, thousands of mentally ill homeless people wandering the streets, and mind dead television watching bored and boring slackjawed "consumers".
I wonder what kind of Argentina YOU are living in, because your portrayal of this country is unrealistic to say the very least... With all the crime going on here on a daily basis, I don't understand how someone can claim the US is more dangerous. Besides, if you think there are no hustlers, drug addicts or homeless people in BA then you must be living in a fairy tale. But hey, who am I to spoil it for you? Sometimes it's just better not knowing...

Ditto Johnny. You are accurate. Ries: I don't know what world you are living in but enjoy it. I was stating consistent behavior here that I and others I know, including Argentines, have dealt with for five years. You must constantly be on your guard here for being cheated.I am from Washington, DC. I was just there and am aware of the costs of things. As I have said before, ALOT of things are cheaper there and a larger selection and better quality.
Ries...try taking something a pair of pants back to the store in one of those "wonderful" clothing stores you talk about....OR find out what the price of those wonderful tiles you were going on about cost one year or six months ago OR better still, walk around town with a rolex watch on and see what happens and then get back to me on what happened.Obviously even with inflation being at 35% last year and estimated at over 20% this year, real estate, taxis and medical care are alot cheaper here than in the U.S. But you need to consider that when the cost of medical care increases by 50% in an 11 month period, something is awry. Forget the amount in dollars. Think in pesos and the increase of prices for what you get or don't get. Evidently potatoes increased by some outrageous amount recently and everyone is upset about that.I never said EVERYTHING was bad here but I think its important to state facts accurately without rose-colored glasses on. I live here for several reasons none of which is your business, but lets be realistic about things. How you can even have a constructive conversation with someone who is a "part-timer" vice living here full-time for five years is beyond me.

As a person looking forward to moving to Argentina upon my retirement in 5 years, I enjoyed reading all of these posts.
Looking at the question in the first post starting this interesting discussion, I am one of those who Americans who thoroughly hates George Bush. I truly believe he has set the US on a path to ruin. I only hope that there isn't going to be a complete collapse that might threaten my pension on which I hope to live on in Argentina.

George Dubya (did I spell that right?) alone cannot do anything to jeopardize your pension, really. And let's face it, five years is not that far away,yes, but alot of things can happen within the next 5 years, both in the USA and Argentina.
Our USA-based retirement "schedule" changed drastically when my father-in-law died here. Life happens when we are busy making plans you know - Lennon said that.

Turn on the news G. It's already happening. Food riotes in Hati, Nigeria, Gahana. the Pilippines. Hording in Indonesia, India. Argentina seeing food prices rise. Someone had the bright idea of converting corn into ethonol so the US can keep their SUVs. So the price of corn skrocketed, more farmers planting corn, less rice, rice hase risen in price by 50% since January. Chickens eat corn. What happens eggs go up 27% chicken prices go up. followed by beef pork. This is a little simplified but I think you get the idea
Was it Dick Chenny that said that defficits don't matter. The US is indebted to Japan and China in the tune of 9 trillion dollars that does not take into account the debt owed to the social security trust fund, No one know how deep in dept the US is. The chickens are starting to come home to roost. Ron I hope you plan to live longer then 5 years and I hope you dont' plan on retiring in comfort. Ask your Argentine friend what happened to their retirment.
7 more months of George dubya. I'll give money that we get another conservative in the white house, god forbid.
DQ

i will in the near future move to argentina. while an american citizen, i was fortunate enough to be born in buenos aires. nothing political, i just love the place. long meals, too much beef and the total beauty of the place. palermo and recoleta are wonderful. cobblestones and tree covered streets that not much else compares to. sure there is the inherent latin american chaos, but i also lived in mexico and brazil. so if the phone is not working, it might get fixed tomorrow, or friday, or july or never. look at it as half full, and that half full part of the glass in argentina is simply outstanding. go river.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, I needed a good laugh about that New York Times Travel Guide. That is definitely NOT cheap and yes it's inaccurate since the guys that wrote these articles only came here for a few days. I guess I am too immersed into the Argentinian way of life based on where I am living because now, I cringe at any prices that most at the locals here will do. No, I am not living in a poor neighborhood either, there is a company exec living across the street from me, another neighbor is an accountant for Boca Juniors, and a doctor that lives the next block down, for example.

I am here because my fiancee does not want to move to the US after being out there a few times. My job is universal enough to be more than well to do here because it involves the media and the entertainment industry, so I'm not worried.
As far as hatred for Americans, that depends on how you present yourself. I chose to blend in while some of the others that came here chose the snobby, arrogant touristy route.
After seeing the REAL life here, I'm loving it even more. I'm seeing the US being saturated with "Made in China" goods while here I'm happy to be seeing a lot of "Industria Argentina" stuff. As far as electronics, not a big deal, if I need to get another piece of gear upgraded like say a $16,000 camera, or a computer, I can always fly to the States for that, or have it shipped or delivered via my family, and for anything else like household appliances, we'll just buy it here.

I assume that people in Washington earn very high salaries compared to people in BA, so they can pay those prices. What I can't understand is why people don't move to affordable places in the US like West Virgina which are not only cheaper than Argentina (you can buy a beautiful house and live on a modest income) but really beautiful.

Hi,sergio. I think they do. It is just that inherent to the USAmericans is wanderlust. They adventure is too much to subdue within especially the much younger generation. I have known quite a few people who thought of going outside of the US to retire, but they find some rural counties at the foot of Mount Rainer or some idyllic countryside in W.Virginia; you have a mobile society that relocation happens every five years or so, you have a large Navy, Army and Marine community that covers both coasts.It is just that no matter where they move in there they would still spend the dollar - but in Asians or South American countries, their dollar would go a long way. That is why no matter how good they live anywhere else, they always come home to the USA to experience how they would want it still, but hoping for spending much less in the process.
I just had a customer (a couple) come back from a 4 week hunting-for-a retirement- place in Argentina expedition and of course they liked it - what is there not to like; 3:1 is still the exchange right? And believe what you want about the culture, people, etc. The choice of retirement plave is 80% economics and financing driven. Why do you think people who live in California choose to retire in Miami - moola, my friend, moola.

It seems to me that cost of living in places like beautiful West Virginia or Ohio (there are actually some nice hilly areas in southwestern Ohio and some very nice towns) is very low. Beautiful houses sell for prices that people in Argentina wouldn't believe. Keep in mind too that retired people in the US have universal health care - Medicare covers 80% of health care costs at ANY hospital. The remaining 20% is picked up by affordable private insurance. A retired person living abroad would have to pay for that insurance or take a great risk. I know a retired American here paying $300 a month for private health insurance. That certainly cuts into his retirement income.

Back