Uber Is Live In Ba

What a slug fest! The Uber vs. the Taxi folks make it seem like a Boca vs. River!

For years, I travel to San Francisco for a few days. Trying to get a taxi in that city has always been near impossible. And when you get one, the drivers are unpolite, reckless, etc. New York? Just as bad or perhaps worse.

About 2 years ago, I was leaving San Francisco at 4 am to catch a plane and was staying in the Marina district, which is close to the Golden Gate bridge. I had never used Uber but had been told about it, so I had the app. I hit the app at the early morning time, and two minutes later a car was waiting for. Never gave the driver any cash, and a minute after I left the car, the receipt was in my inbox. A wonderful experience.

Often I end up in areas of San Francisco where I am kind of lost, and there's nowhere to find a taxi. I have hit my Uber app, and within minutes the car arrives. It is total ecstasy. Sometimes I need to take my grandkids to karate, or gymnastics, or whatever and rather than stand on the street trying to hail a taxi (a near impossible feat), I hit my Uber app and voila! The car arrives.

Uber is fabulous. I even know the name of the driver before he arrives. In BA, before I get in a taxi, I ask the driver if the car has a working seat belt. Half the time he/she thinks I am speaking Chinese. Seat belt? What's that?

Uber shakes the apple cart. What's wrong with that? Plus, they offer an optional service. Why should the taxi monopoly fight them so much? Why don't they come up with a similar app?

By the way, have you ever tried paying a taxi in BA with your credit card? With cash, it creates an incredible hassle: either I don't have small enough bills, or the driver does not have enough change. And how about trying to get out fast, for whatever reason you need to, and there you are stuck while he figures out the change, and you count it.

Elon Musk just landed a returning rocket, after it shot its satellite into orbit, on a moving platform on the ocean. And you guys in BA are fighting Uber? You should be trying to figure out how to compete against Mr. Musk rather than wasting time finding excuses not to let progress in. By the way, Mr. Musk has also started a brand new car company, and is also trying to revolutionize the storage of electricity.

People of Buenos Aires, wake up! Believe in progress, not in maintaining the status quo.

People of Buenos Aires, wake up! Believe in progress, not in maintaining the status quo.

Sorry, but a lot of us don't buy into the story of Uber as progress. Sure, the experience for the customer is great until there is a problem. Uber has literally thousands of complains of rape, sexual assault, etc. This is because literally ANYONE can sign-up for the service. They never actually inspect your car or have a face to face interview with the driver. You just scan a copy of your documents, watch a 13 minute youtube video and you're good to go. Here in Buenos Aires they are operating without commercial insurance. So when the Uber driver crashes into my car their insurance company is not going to repair my vehicle.

I also don't buy into the "sharing economy" job model. It is just another scheme by the 1% to transfer wealth from the working class to the rich. Here in Argentina we have a word for what Uber and these other companies want to do... changas. A changa is an informal job (trabajo en negro) that pays poorly and is precarious. This is the kind of work that desperate unemployed people are willing to take.

What the government should be doing is creating economic conditions to create real middle-class jobs and not encourage a race to the bottom with Uber. Using the Uber model we could make a lot of things cheaper, but not necessarily better.

Saludos.

Oh and BA taxis don't have a record of rape and sexual assault. Just look on the forum, some members have had 1st hand experience.

Of course not ;-)

'...The bias blind spot is the cognitive bias of recognizing the impact of biases on the judgement of others, while failing to see the impact of biases on one's own judgement...'

el_expatriado
In my view " creating economic conditions" that foster the development of employment of all kinds including entrepreneurship is exactly what this gov't. has begun to do..Unfortunately,the populist/statist hole dug by 2 K administrations is rather deep.It will take a few years for a free market approach to satisfactorily re-emerge.
i went to a meet up in Palermo last night of young apolitical Argentine entrepreneurs and I was really filled with hope.
A new Argentina IS possible.

While Uber makes sense where the taxi companies sucks like NYC, here the service is good and unexpensive. And the drivers deserve to have a medical insurance and a retirement pention. The profut of UBER is based on not paying taxes. They don't even have a CUIT in Argentina.

If you have an accident in an UBER car, the insurance doesn't pay.

Back