Uber's dark side...

Indeed. I use at an average 3-4 taxis a day in BA.. And mostly everything is perfect. No cheating, no fights.

The other day, I decided to try a new experiment..that is to hail a taxi at Ezeiza..Something I never do. I usually take the REMI and pay about 1700 pesos to palermo from Ezeiza ( transfer express). taxi Ezeiza is about 200 pesos less. So I hailed this taxi and "careless me" - I fell asleep in the taxi and hey presto...The bill was 2500 pesos..was so damn funny for me..cos I know its impossible..but the taxi driver tried so hard to convince me..that how naive I was and that I did not know anything. Eventually he got convinced I know everything and I paid 1500 and got off. but even that was more/ As per present meter charges, should not be more than 1200 pesos ( including tolls) on a normal traffic day ( as it was that day).

Yea last week a friend visited me and we had a similar experience, taxi driver went in circles and he was texting me about it. Ran it up to 350. When they stopped I just told the driver I know it's a 200 peso trip, and when I went to take a photo of his taxi license he just agreed to 200 lol.

Had a similiar experience from AEP to hotel. Price was double what it should be - the guy was a young drug addict - after I told him it was bullshit and he was a peice of shit I gave him what it should have been and left. I was ready to fight him if he tried to touch me etc. I struggle to understand how these people sleep at night - in my opinion it is equivalent to theft and should have the same punishment. This is why I refuse to use taxis as much as possible - had fake bills - drug addicts like the guy above. The good thing about Uber is the rating system which increases the likelyhood the person is going to give you decent service. Used uber a lot in BA and never had any issues - always good service and nicer cars than the shit old taxis.

Had a similiar experience from AEP to hotel. Price was double what it should be - the guy was a young drug addict - after I told him it was bullshit and he was a peice of shit I gave him what it should have been and left. I was ready to fight him if he tried to touch me etc. I struggle to understand how these people sleep at night - in my opinion it is equivalent to theft and should have the same punishment. This is why I refuse to use taxis as much as possible - had fake bills - drug addicts like the guy above. The good thing about Uber is the rating system which increases the likelyhood the person is going to give you decent service. Used uber a lot in BA and never had any issues - always good service and nicer cars than the shit old taxis.

You be the judge if for an extra $150 pesos say $2.20 cents you risk being punched, stabbed , or shot ..? I'd say.
Daily angry drivers are involved in shoot outs.? fistfights , etc.

You be the judge if for an extra $150 pesos say $2.20 cents you risk being punched, stabbed , or shot ..? I'd say.
Daily angry drivers are involved in shoot outs.? fistfights , etc.
I'm only suggesting physical action if he decided to initiate it. I agree that 99% of the time especially if being robbed you give them what they want. However if it's already turned physical (on their behalf) then no chance I'm going down without a fight. The worst are the oxygen theives that decide to shoot even though the person gave them what they wanted with no resistance. In this case you are in a bind because what if it's your unlucky day and mr drug scum decides he is going to shoot you anyway after you give him everything -its better to be proactive however there is no way of knowing what type it will be. Probability suggests you're better off giving everything and hoping you don't have that type who would shoot you/stab you anyway.

I'm only suggesting physical action if he decided to initiate it. I agree that 99% of the time especially if being robbed you give them what they want. However if it's already turned physical (on their behalf) then no chance I'm going down without a fight. The worst are the oxygen theives that decide to shoot even though the person gave them what they wanted with no resistance. In this case you are in a bind because what if it's your unlucky day and mr drug scum decides he is going to shoot you anyway after you give him everything -its better to be proactive however there is no way of knowing what type it will be. Probability suggests you're better off giving everything and hoping you don't have that type who would shoot you/stab you anyway.

Very true .. But since you Stated you were ready to fight for the Overcharge ... seemed a bit risky.... None of us want to end up like the Swedish tourist.in San Telmo...!

AEP now has a system where you print a ticket with an agreed upon fare and then go line up for a taxi so it's much better. It is more expensive than a normal trip, but the drivers have to line up for a while to wait for a fare anyway so whatever, it's fair enough.

The downside to the Uber rating system is that drivers have to maintain a ludicrous standard, 4.7 stars I think, and some people vote them down for the dumbest reasons which could result in them losing their job on a whim. Having to provide literally 5 star service all the time sucks.

huh? why would you not want to provide great service all the time?

It's a guy in a car driving you from A to B. For me 5 stars is just someone who does that with no problems, for other people 5 stars requires someone who treats them like some sort of god by giving them free water bottles and snacks and driving the latest model car, and those people can easily skew the ratings.

Taxi drivers has a licence that is very expensive. Also they hace to approve the tests for professional driving. If they have criminal records they do not approve, neither if they have issues regarding mental health. The taxi license is very expensive, so, they take care of that. Uber...well, it is all illegal.

Back