UK Electronic appliances in Argentina techie question

cocteauuk

Registered
Hi All,

I'm moving to Cordoba in March from London and being a web designer I have a lot of electronic stuff that I've to take with me for work.

I was thinking about buying an extension lead like this one and getting a travel adaptor to plug it to the wall.

Is this a safe option or am I going to blow up the house?

I have a Macbook Pro, can anyone think about anything I need to get beforehand.

Thanks!

Mauricio

I think it will be safe. I doubt you'll need it though. I have never used one and never had a problem.

Hey Mauricio,
That should sort you out fine,just make sure it has a surge protector.Anything you think you might need or want on the electrics side bring with you, most electronic goods cost way more down here.Cameras,routers,printers,speakers etc.

Keith

That's what we do with our appliances. I changed out the plug at the end of the extension instead of using an adapter. I've had no problems with this so far & it's been over a year.

Almost forgot, buy your travel adaptor plug in the uk,decent quality ones are hard to find here and are often a fraction of a millimeter too small for Irish/uk plugs and have a tendency to crack.

Basically, your Macbook will have it's own surge protecion built in, you have nothing to worry about. That said a little extra protection at that price, if it gives you peace of mind, well a few less grey hairs won't go amis.
And of course you only have one plug to change.

Thanks everybody, after reading keech's comment my wife is thinking about taking the toaster, microwave and iron with us!

I took a look at the argentinean Mac site and they are charging 649 pesos (£100) for a bloody cable that costs £45 here, ridiculous!

So I'll get a couple of the surge protected extensions and at least 7 convertors!

Thanks all again!

cocteauuk said:
Thanks everybody, after reading keech's comment my wife is thinking about taking the toaster, microwave and iron with us!

Toaster and iron yeah, but microwave is probably not a very good idea.

You can get a current stabilizer pretty cheap here which I think is better than a surge protector:

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
estabilizador.jpg

you just need a little plug adaptor to plug it in to this, which, I agree with Keech, you should buy in the UK because the ones here a poor quality

Back