UK riots

CarverFan said:
Citymike, I meant that it's different working and living in a place. Also a friend of mine lived on the estate in Deptford high st. and she did find it hard and couldn't go out alone come evening. It was a very enclosed estate that she lived in. Personally, I'd be delighted to have a council place, I was born in London but was priced out of my hometown!

Well, women will often be scared to go out alone come evening in a major city, no matter where. I knew a very strong woman in London who would ask me to walk her home when it got past pub closing time. Not because sexual assault was common but the effects can be devastating.

I can imagine the frustration of someone born and bred in London, having council property there has been like a lottery win. And I agree that it hasn't always gone to the right people. It happens in Manchester too but I don't think it's as bad as people think. They reckon that a lot of immigrants, for example, are renting council housing which has been bought by British people who had the right to buy who then rent out the property.

In my own case, my parents were immigrants who owned their own property which was compulsory purchased by the council in the 1960s to build high rise monstrosities. They were offered a council house to rent in exchange for a city centre Victorian 3 floor terrace and the government at the time would only reimburse what the owners had paid for the property, regardless of its worth in the market at that time. But then, in the 1960s we had so many homeless people which resulted in the documentary "Cathy come home"..........so was it right that people like us owned so much property when other decent people were homeless?

It's bit complicated in my opinion and the effects of decisions made many decades ago are still being felt

steveinbsas said:
Or is the reason that the press in England (in some cases?) is prohibited by law of specifying the race of "accused" criminals?

Euphemisms are used -- which everyone in polite society knows how to decode. Allusion and circumlocution have become the rule in discourse. It's a far cry from the '60s, when Peter Griffiths -- a Conservative candidate for the Smethwick seat in '64 -- had as his slogan, "If you want a n****r for a neighbour, vote Labour."

But coming back to my original point: Are Whites involved? Sure they are. But these are latchers-on, opportunists, fellow travellers, so to speak. Where has the dynamic and momentum come from? Why is it so politically incorrect to not stick one's head in the sand?

Meanwhile, without endorsing it any fashion, an interesting speech from Nick Griffin, who presents an alternative take on social reality in Britain:

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/national/video-nick-griffin-addresses-nation

Smcali23 said:
I'm a Londoner born and bred. I'll be off there tomorrow and then off to Romford next week. Also lived in Essex for 3 years. I'll be sure to let my mates in Romford know that they're not really from Essex

Look: Was there a riot in Romford? Or just one place that got broken into? Was it really of the same order of magnitude as Tottenham, Brixton, Clapham, and Ealing? Be honest. And why no riots in Grays, Tilbury, Basildon, or Harlow? After all, all these are deprived areas.

Be honest: Without the Afro-Caribbeans, would all this have occurred? Don't take refuge in soothing bromides such as "It was a mix; everyone was involved."

Be honest - what are you basing your view that "this is all because of the blacks" on?

What do you make of the rioting and looting in Croydon?

What do you make of the 1500 arrests so far, and the published ethnicities and backgrounds of the looters and rioters?

Whilst its true that there are exclusively black gangs in London, and gangs have been instrumental in these riots to label this "a black thing" smacks of ignorance and bigotry.

You sound like you've seen a few black faces in the media and have jumped to conclusions. If thats not the case - present some "facts" supporting your inflammatory and offensive opinions. Because so far, other than get the geography, demographics and basic nature of the riots completely wrong you've presented fuck all to support your views.

Afro Caribs? Soothing bromides? Circumlocution? Chavs?
I have no insight into the London riots. I have no idea if they are ecomically motivated or simply a release of misdirected anger by poor persons of any particular race/color. But I do know that some world leaders have made some humorously bizarre statements concerning the riots . See: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/08/10/riot_of_opportunity?page=0,0
p.s. I think Bigbadwolf and Cabrera ought to marry to produce little Ahmadinejads ( if she'll have him).

jp said:
Be honest - what are you basing your view that "this is all because of the blacks" on?

What do you make of the rioting and looting in Croydon?

What do you make of the 1500 arrests so far, and the published ethnicities and backgrounds of the looters and rioters?

Whilst its true that there are exclusively black gangs in London, and gangs have been instrumental in these riots to label this "a black thing" smacks of ignorance and bigotry.

You sound like you've seen a few black faces in the media and have jumped to conclusions. If thats not the case - present some "facts" supporting your inflammatory and offensive opinions. Because so far, other than get the geography, demographics and basic nature of the riots completely wrong you've presented fuck all to support your views.

Please don't get emotional on me: it serves no purpose. And don't disingenuously ascribe a position to me I never said I hold. I didn't say "a black thing." I never said others were not involved.

The rub lies in presenting the figures. The media-concocted reality is shying away from facts and figures on ethnicity: "it's a mix." The anecdotal evidence I have -- which is useless in making arguments -- is along the lines I've indicated. 70%-90% of the rioters in Tottenham, for example, were Afro-Caribbean. Now I suppose one could claim that blacks are a bigger percentage of the underclass (though of course Asians and whites are also there) than their overall numbers might warrant. As I see it -- I'm not saying I'm right -- the political class and its media stooges want to keep a lid on simmering race relations in inner-city Britain. As a consequence of the riots, ethnic enclaves have been strengthened: Poles; Kurds and Turks; Sikhs; moslems. The ethnic fault lines have been etched deeper into London.

But go ahead: live in that liberal fantasy world of yours, where everyone is color- and ethnicity-blind, and relations and behavior are not determined by such. Keep hurling epithets at those who disturb this comforting worldview.

bigbadwolf, you haven't provided one shred of factual evidence, and yet two other people have of the opposite viewpoint to yours.

If you can't provide any factual evidence then it simply must be you are a racist bigot, which is not an accusation I make comfortably of anyone without knowing them very well, but there seems no other justification for your distorted rants.

I'll revise this viewpoint of you IF you ever provide any actual evidence. At the moment you seem to be the one holding onto a point of view despite opposing evidence. In anyone's language that is the characteristic of a bigot.

Definition: (bigoted) Being a bigot; biased; strongly prejudiced; forming opinions without just cause.

As they say, SHOW US THE MONEY (EVIDENCE) - or else shut the f*** up.

Back