Uk Woman 29 Moving To Pilar

victoriauk

Registered
Hola,

I shall be moving to Pilar, next year to live with my soon to be Argentine husband. Looking for English speaking expats in the area. Right now I have no Spanish and will be looking for an intense tutor - class as soon as I arrive.

Lots of things terrify me right now, not least the driving, but I am positive and confident and believe time is all it takes. It would be nice to hear any tips or advice........ stories that were once horrors and now ones you laugh at, about moving to a new country, with what could be essentially described as....Not a clue in the world!

Thanks
Victoria

Didn't you ever come for a visit?I presume your argie prospective hubby lives in UK.well good luck.

Hola,

I shall be moving to Pilar, next year to live with my soon to be Argentine husband. Looking for English speaking expats in the area. Right now I have no Spanish and will be looking for an intense tutor - class as soon as I arrive.

Lots of things terrify me right now, not least the driving, but I am positive and confident and believe time is all it takes. It would be nice to hear any tips or advice........ stories that were once horrors and now ones you laugh at, about moving to a new country, with what could be essentially described as....Not a clue in the world!

Thanks
Victoria

Victoria I would just say be prepared to love it, then maybe fall out of love and then find your real perspective in anything between 0 - 2 years. The initial feelings of wonder or fear aren't necessarily real as so much that is new is being thrust upon you. Time and patience as you say will win out. I had a cultural adaptation before moving to the US (company idea not mine) and one thing I remember was them telling me to expect to feel tired more because of the fact that your brain is constantly interpreting new signals as not even small tasks like crossing the road can be done on auto-pilot but need active thought. Hope you'll have a fantastic immersion and adaptation.

I agree with Fifs2! Everyone is different, but I spent about a month here holidaying 2 separate occasions before coming to live. Loved it on hols and for first month or two, then got fed up with the disorganisation, dirtiness, inflation, general rudeness, difficulty of doing the simples things, difficulty of communicating with my "developing" spanish, crazy traffic for the next few months. But now, having been here for 15 months and well settled, although the newlywed bliss hasnt returned, I do enjoy it much more and the negatives dont get me down so much. You learn to be more patient and tolerant of the annoying things and accustomed to everything as well.

Good luck out in Pilar, its one of the nicer parts.

Hey victoria, le us know when your arrive. I am also a 20 somthing living in Pilar with my argentine husband.

Twig

Hola,

Thanks
Victoria
Victoria - the advice you are receiving sounds absolutely on-target in my experience. The one thing I would add is that there is a "culture shock debit" that, I've grown convinced, must be paid upon arrival in the new country or upon arrival back in your home country - the easier your adaptation to country XY, the more difficult the readaptation to home country Y and vice-versa. Maybe I'm extrapolating too much from personal experience, but I believe it to be true. Knowing this is what is happening helps a lot in dealing with the feelings. Good luck!.

I'm actually moving to Pilar first week of January... and I speak english. ha. I was only in Argentina for 4 months previously, which did not seem like enough so I am coming back! Out of 11 countries I have been to, Argentina (buenos aires) would be the one I would most want to live long-term. We will be a little bit out side of it in Pilar... but I hear it's a legit side of town.

Back