Un Tipo Espectacular

Dublin2BuenosAires

Registered
Macri has, for me, failed his first test. His claim to be the candidate for change and for a new clean politics suffered a fairly substantial kick in the plums when Jaime Durán Barba made the horrible statement that Hitler was "un tipo espectacular"

Regardless of what he was trying to say, this is an instant red card for a politician in a party smeared with pro dictatorship comments. The only way Macri can come out of this with credibility is to sack the guy, say that regardless of his intentions his manner of expressing them was unacceptable and he has to go. No messing, no hugging, no kissing. Sacked.

I do believe that he meant to say that Hitler was a significant figure in history, but I do believe the veil slipped a little and there was the slightest sliver of admiration in his tone. Never acceptable and has too many historical echos in Argentina.

As a PRO supporter, or more correctly a supporter of what I believe the party is trying to achieve, I am disappointed. Duran Barba must be sacked.

I disagree with you on all points Dublin!

I detest the PRO and I can't listen to Durán Barba for more than 20 seconds without suffering a prolonged vomiting fit.

That said, I think it's awful the way D-B is being brought in front of government committees for something that should be classified as freedom of speech. Of course if Macri wants to fire him fine, he should have done that long ago, but to make this a government matter is utter totalitarianism.

It should go without saying that of course Hitler is disgustingly evil, but there is a terrible trend, especially in Europe, to control what people may or may not say about him. No doubt D-B's rantings were reprehensible (and quite telling), but he should nevertheless have the right to spout as many idiocies as he likes.

Understandable why you would want him to continue, to be clear, he shouldn't be fired as a matter of moral necessity, that is entirely the look out of the PRO aparatchik, but he should be fired if they want to be seen as a serious party.

This has nothing to do with censorship on a legal basis, let him have his views, but for me it is disappointing to see a party who claim to be progressive being dragged into the mire of tabloid politics by one of their advisers. What valuable PR advice is this guy going to give?

What government committees is he in front of?

Is this not an internal party matter?

What government committees is he in front of?

Is this not an internal party matter?

INADI (National Institute Against Discrimination Racism and Xenophobia)

I don't think you and I are going to see eye-to-eye on the PRO, but the matter of freedom of speech is much more important here. Instead of making this about Macri I hope this thread can address the freedom of speech issue (and then of course transition into Obamacare)

Ed (hijacker!), if you want a freedom of speech thread you open one!...I meant this on to be specifically around Macri's mismanagement of an internal crisis which for me highlights his poor management ^_^

I think the only thing that you & I will see eye to eye on is whiskey, which is of course more than enough! (Unless you're a bourbon drinker, then we'd need to sit down for a chat).

ps...just read the link, thanks, I wasn't aware that his idiot words had sent him up to INADI. That is a little too big brother-esque.

From the other side, the govt should have left him hang himself, they really don't need to get involved.

Peron liked the way Hitler and Mussolini were doing business in Europe. And now this guy associated with PRO is basically saying the same thing. I've so far supported what PRO has done in the city (sorry Ed, I don't detest the PRO like you do) but I'll be watching how they handle this situation (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1638510-mauricio-macri-lo-de-jaime-duran-barba-es-un-tema-terminado). If they are no different than all the peronistas then WTF is the point of it all, might as well merge into Frente Renovador or some peronista party and call it a day.

On the topic of freedom of speech. I have never understood people getting prosecuted for things they say, whether they're insulting or not. It happens in European countries and apparently it happens here. Unless someone's speech incites violence, they should be able to say whatever the heck they want to say. Its childish to drag people to courts because they said something that someone didn't like.

Hitler?? really Hitler?? oh come onn there goes to show you the degree of intellect of some political figures.Nothing good can come out of mentioning Hitler no matter how you see it (in favor or against).I agree with the freedom of speech deal but what was he thinking? a name like that mentioned is the perfect recipe to back fire on you.Very poor judgement on his part which makes you wonder how much common sense this guy's got to offer.

Back