Upscale apartments?

jb5

Registered
Can someone explain how renting large, upscale apartments/houses works? Is any of the really nice housing stock not geared towards the short term tourist market?

We are looking for a 3 plus bedroom, 3 bath, 250 plus sqm home in one of the nicer areas. We're willing to do a long term lease. Do we have to pay tourist prices? What's the best way to go about finding a home of this type?

I think you have to provide a little bit more information, such as who is " we " a family? a group of friends? Do you have garantia? Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished? Do you have a job and therefore a company that can back you up if you do not have a garantia? Are you willing to pay your contract in advance?

Reactions: jb5
We is my family: parents and 4 college aged kids who will come and go. We will be running a sizable company there that we own and I would be happy to pre pay the contract if that's advisable.

I wouldn't pre-pay anything if i were you, they will totally screw you

The internet/hotwater/whatever breaks and you have already paid for 12 months, what motivation do they have to fix it? none..and its not like you can legally get your money back

jb5 said:
We is my family: parents and 4 college aged kids who will come and go. We will be running a sizable company there that we own and I would be happy to pre pay the contract if that's advisable.
I will PM you the email address of an agent I worked with a few years ago. she usually rents out apartments to embassy personnel, executives, etc. If she doesn´t have anything available she probably will send you in the right direction.

Assuming you do not have a 'garantia' (another piece of property to put down as collateral against overstaying the lease), you may need to negotiate by paying 6 months to a year of rent up front. The standard lease term here is 2 years.

Renting unfurnished will probably be the best way to go as you'll find a lot more availability for an apartment this size. Also, when we were looking we did not find a lot of large, nice apartments in Palermo, but found quite a few in Belgrano, so you may want to check that area.

You may have better luck renting directly from the owners and negotiating something with regards to not having a garantia. You can find a list of owner-direct apartments on http://soloduenos.com.ar. Zona Prop (http://www.zonaprop.com.ar) is a much more extensive list of apartments with most of them from real estate agencies, but remember, money talks. If you're prepared to pay upfront a lot of landlords will listen to offers. A lot also like the idea of renting to foreigners.

We found an amazing 195 square meter apartment in Belgrano after looking for about a month. We had a garantia but paid 1 year up front in order to negotiate more favorable rental rates and increases. Expect to pay a one month commission to any real estate agent as well as have a percentage increase for the second year's rent.

Covello and interwin are the main real estate agencies in Palermo, near the parks.

I would like to simply re-emphasize what Sleuth says. If you do not have a garantia, be prepared to pay 6 months or one year in advance. Even if you have a garantia, it still might be a good idea to prepay so you can 1) get a discount and 2) lock in a lower future payment. It is also cheaper over the long term to lease and then buy your own furniture.

Also, if I had a large family, I would prefer staying in a house, or an apartment building with only a few tenants. Belgrano offers a much better selection and more residential lifestyle than Palermo, IMO.

Thanks very much to all.

I'm not very familiar with Belgrano. Is a house much of a possibility? Would security be as good with a gate as it would be in a well staffed building?

A house is definitely a possibility in Belgrano. In particular, the part of belgrano called Belgrano R has a lot of english-tudor style homes. Also, the area borded by Luis Maria Campos, Cabildo, Maure, and Virrey Loreto has some upscale homes as well. A good idea would be to use the search engine on argenprop or zonaprop and search for Alquiler/Casa/Capital Federal/Belgrano. Then sort by highest price first. That should give you a good sense of homes in the $2-5000 usd range. I feel pretty secure walking in that neighborhood even at night. It seems like there are a few small booths with security guards scattered around the neighborhood as well. But, if you need a 24 hr security guard posted at your front driveway, then a high-end apartment is probably better.

Back