Uruguay Banks

For those that have accounts at BROU you probably know that every six months there has to be some movement or transaction or the accounts it frozen, then you have to go to Uruguay and re-open it again. I was told at BROU "movement" can simply consist of going to the BROU branch in Buenos Aires and simply using your debit card in the ATM and checking your balance. I'm wondering for all the expats that have this over seas accounts rather than trust the Argentine banking system, if using the ATM in the manner in which BROU suggests, will raise red flags here in Argentina.

High charges at BROU bank.

Recently sent some money to my account at BROU and was charged 55 usd as incoming transfer fees.

Has anyone with account there has similar experiences?

This 55 added to 40 usd as my TT costs added up to 95 usd in losses for 1 transfer!!

Re: Arlean:

When you opened your bank account, BROU likely asked you for a "certificacion de ingresos" (document proving the funds you'll receive are legit, etc.).

When I opened mine, it was OK to provide only Purchase orders from my clients, but otherwise, it's needed to ask an Escribano publico to write such a document.

I'm just wondering what would happen if I don't give this document this year... (it has to be submitted annually)
I only submitted the proof of income when I opened the savings account and that was it.

For those that have accounts at BROU you probably know that every six months there has to be some movement or transaction or the accounts it frozen, then you have to go to Uruguay and re-open it again. I was told at BROU "movement" can simply consist of going to the BROU branch in Buenos Aires and simply using your debit card in the ATM and checking your balance. I'm wondering for all the expats that have this over seas accounts rather than trust the Argentine banking system, if using the ATM in the manner in which BROU suggests, will raise red flags here in Argentina.
Just FYI, I was able to unfreeeze my acount which had been inactive by sending a request over their website. They have a pretty good customer service on the web page.

BROU is quite an Institution in Uruguay. Clearly the most respectful of the banks. Institutions in Uruguay are a lot more serious than in Argentina.
At least that I used to think till the moment they gave us USD fake bills (1800 from a total of 10,000).

A peronismo K fan with 10K that can be identify as 18% of that as false which was picked up at bank in Urugay. WoW did you cash the 10K in at blue? Shhhh we promise we will not tell the queen.

Just FYI, I was able to unfreeeze my acount which had been inactive by sending a request over their website. They have a pretty good customer service on the web page.
I found my BROU account active after not using for 5 years!!!! I just asked them on a simple email.

On another note, I also had a account in HSBC Uruguay. In 5 years..they slowly but steadily swallowed my 1500 usd as account maintainance fees and then closed my account due to *inactivity*!

What rogues!

Could be. The only and slighty difference is not by the sight but by the touch.

So you picked up 10K USD in URU went back to ARG and the Casa Cambio told you 1800 of the 10,000 USD was false. Given that you fall for the K lies well you know. FYI you are now in my book the typical corrupt Argentino. Please do NOT defend it unless you can live it like a man.

I found my BROU account active after not using for 5 years!!!! I just asked them on a simple email.

On another note, I also had a account in HSBC Uruguay. In 5 years..they slowly but steadily swallowed my 1500 usd as account maintainance fees and then closed my account due to *inactivity*!

What rogues!

One benefit BROU has is if you maintain a $500 US balance you're not charged monthly maintenance fees.

One benefit BROU has is if you maintain a $500 US balance you're not charged monthly maintenance fees.

i have been told last week, to keep it as 1000 usd...else i will lose 3.75 usd a month.

Back