Uruguay crime wave

You have not lived on the Northern coast it is totally pristine nature like California in the 70s. I would back in heartbeat. But my mother in law.

Any cities like Santa Barbara there? I haven't found much info on Uruguay.
Also, sometimes in-laws become outlaws lol

No cities like Santa Barbara in Uruguay.
Montevideo is kinda like San Francisco in the sixties- sleepy and quiet.
Punta is more like Newport Beach. Mercedes convertibles, all night raves that cost 20 bucks to get in, and ladies dress shops with teeny bikinis.
The beach towns he is talking about are more like Ventura was in the early 80s, or like Mendecino or Bodega Bay used to be like in hippie days. On the beach, there are tourists for two months a year, the rest of the time, its sheep farmers, hippies, and sleepy little towns that are lost in time.

Being in Uruguay is like stepping into the Time Machine - feels like being in the fifties. Restful, basic, terminally unexciting, but nice. It is a great country for the elderly - over there, old people are valued and helped, not ignored like in the US.

I do not understand the interest in Uruguay for retirees as it is even more expensive than Argentina as well as having few natural landmarks or attractions . It does though have some attractive beaches but they are only suitable to swim a few months of the year

There's this idea that it's stable and relatively prosperous as Latin America goes. I'm guilty of having entertained this notion myself.

the beaches are better, all imports are available, and its still cheap compared to the USA. Beachfront property is the most expensive, but even in swanky places like Jose Ignacio, a mile out of town there are lots with water and power a block or two from the beach for under $100,000 USD. Pretty much every similarly desirable west coast US town is double that. So, for retirees with income, who like wine, beef, and the ocean, its not an outrageous idea. Go five miles in, and prices go down by half or more. Some of the small towns are actually really nice, reminiscent of France or Italy 20 years ago- San Carlos, or Rocha, for example, are 20 minutes from the beach, have great local bakers, butchers, pasta makers, local olive oil and wine, and are not that expensive, and you can buy a computer or a phone in any of em for much less than in Argentina. For the right person, its pretty nice. Francis Mallman seems to think so.

My favorite town was La Barra about 20 minutes south of Punta Del Este a small artsy town in the summer. Very reminiscent of Laguna Beach California where spent much of my youth. So I settled there.

The location was more laid back than Punta and you can get Maldonado in 20 minutes and enjoy much lower prices then Punta. Dinning pricing go down 50% or more are there some good places to dine there. La Barra also has a decent small river beach break the occasionally produces some great waves. Along with several good spots depending on conditions.

The place is like a ghost town in the winter but that is when you hang out with the locals or go to Maldanado for evening wining and dining.

By my reckoning La Barra is NORTH of Punta. As in, you drive towards Brazil. In realidad, its actually kind of East by North. But I sure wouldnt call it South- the only think south of Punta is the Malvinas, and Antarctica.

By my reckoning La Barra is NORTH of Punta. As in, you drive towards Brazil. In realidad, its actually kind of East by North. But I sure wouldnt call it South- the only think south of Punta is the Malvinas, and Antarctica.
I am on the other side of the planet still getting used it LOL

in your defense, everything is upside down south of the equator. we all know that.

Back