Uruguay for the summer

Be prepared for a serious sticker shock. Uruguay is very expensive - prices are 50% higher than here. And in Punta del Este they can be twice as high.

Yes, you can have that issue the secret is to stay out of the tourist areas and not shop in the tourist areas. For example, there is an open park market Sunday morning in Maldonado get your vegetables, cheese for the week there at wholesale prices only 15 minutes from Punta Del Este. Go south of Punta like 30 minutes and few blocks back from the beach there you can find great summer rentals in $500 to $1000 range or less depending on what level of housing you want and how big of a place you want. Do not shop the tourist markets find of the markets off the beaten path. For example, where I am there is a family-owned market I can get most food good there at 50% less than tourist markets and it is only 5 blocks from the beach and 4 blocks from me. Near that location is a butcher great meat low prices.

I am 500 meters from the beach and 20 minutes from Punta. Great house Parilla, AC everything I need and we can be in the tourist locals if we want too. I do not like to go far north because La Barra has the best surfing breaks and today it was grinding at about a meter. I can get to the locations in 15 minutes or the beach here for sun and fun in less than a minute.

It is just working to strategy of enjoying the place as a tourist but not spending the high life tourist money which is entirely possible. As well as just amazing for an old surfer. Line ups are small in the secret spots and enjoyable.

Gonna be a good summer nice and slow as we go.

Sounds like you have a very nice set up. If you like to watch competitive surfing, check out the Pipe masters. As you may already know this is the last contest of the year to determine the world champion. Live coverage starts today of the trials at around 2 PM Argentine time: https://www.worldsurfleague.com/

Sounds like you have a very nice set up. If you like to watch competitive surfing, check out the Pipe masters. As you may already know this is the last contest of the year to determine the world champion. Live coverage starts today of the trials at around 2 PM Argentine time: https://www.worldsurfleague.com/

I have surfed the pipe and is it acrazy fast wave especially back in the 80s and 90s. They are forecasting 18 to 25 feet for Thursday that is nuts I wonder if the reef will support that size I suppose that will depend on the direction of incoming swell. But the pipe at 25 that would be like Jaws. Going to be an interesting few days.

Back