Uruguay residence for dummies?

barbablanca

Registered
Hi folks, I’ve been living in Argentina for the last year and a half, working my way through the rentista residence option.

My patience is running out with this place. These are the most amicable people I’ve met but they don’t seem to notice how they destroy their own county. I’ve been waiting for my DNI 15 months now. They are feeding me with “mañana”, “que país” and “esperamos nuevo… presidente, jefe, viento” and not progressing anywhere. Just keep throwing new requests to present documents for the third time because they’ve lost them or because the rules have changed or because someone thinks they’ve changed, or someone believes they will change soon. “Just wait a month while we add your docs to the case… oops they’ve expired, can you bring the new one?”

Meanwhile I’ve lost part of business, flights to Europe and a few opportunities just because my precaria was about to expire and it only takes unknown time 5 to 60(!) days to renew it.

I love the country and the people but my life isn’t that long.

So, rant is over, here’s the question - is there a guide for dummies to settle in Uruguay? Like what programs they have, timelines and rumours of reliability of their bureaucracy. I’ve been to the country a few times and do business with a local tech startup, they are super reasonable, both on entrepreneurship and bureaucracy level so far.

Any hints?

Why get residency? You can live here on a tourist visa, when it expires and you want to leave just pay a nominal fee at the airport. It's in pesos and hasn't been updated so it's peanuts

Why get residency? You can live here on a tourist visa, when it expires and you want to leave just pay a nominal fee at the airport. It's in pesos and hasn't been updated so it's peanuts
It’s like buying a porsche and driving it without number plates and driving licence. You can get away with it for a while but predictability of still having it tomorrow is too low for my liking

Hi folks, I’ve been living in Argentina for the last year and a half, working my way through the rentista residence option.

My patience is running out with this place. These are the most amicable people I’ve met but they don’t seem to notice how they destroy their own county. I’ve been waiting for my DNI 15 months now. They are feeding me with “mañana”, “que país” and “esperamos nuevo… presidente, jefe, viento” and not progressing anywhere. Just keep throwing new requests to present documents for the third time because they’ve lost them or because the rules have changed or because someone thinks they’ve changed, or someone believes they will change soon. “Just wait a month while we add your docs to the case… oops they’ve expired, can you bring the new one?”

Meanwhile I’ve lost part of business, flights to Europe and a few opportunities just because my precaria was about to expire and it only takes unknown time 5 to 60(!) days to renew it.

So, rant is over, here’s the question - is there a guide for dummies to settle in Uruguay? Like what programs they have, timelines and rumours of reliability of their bureaucracy. I’ve been to the country a few times and do business with a local tech startup, they are super reasonable, both on entrepreneurship and bureaucracy level so far.

Any hints?
I've had a video call with the following British-Uruguayan lawyer and it seems like a really straightforward process:

They are feeding me with “mañana”, “que país” and “esperamos nuevo… presidente, jefe, viento” and not progressing anywhere.
As far as I know, most Latinamerica, if not all, is about "mañana".

I've had a video call with the following British-Uruguayan lawyer and it seems like a really straightforward process:

I can vouch for Mark as well - met with him in person last year, good guy and very straightforward.

Any hints?
Check out https://www.guruguay.com/

Back