Uruguay Visa Run

skolka

Registered
Let me tell you of my experience going to uraguay.

I came to BA on May 1, normal 90 day tourist visa which was to expire July 29. I'm mid July I went to Colonia for the day, semi visa run and to get dollars out of ATM

When I re entered Argentina, I did not get a visa stamp in my passport. I went to this forum and was given web site address to check my visa status , it showed I was now ok until October 12.

A few days ago I went to Colonia again with a friend and spent the night and got more dollars from ATM. Before I got on the ferry I asked the Argentina custom officer if there would be any issues returning, I would not have boarded the boat if there were issues. I was told I was fine my visa was good until October 12.

When I returned to Argentina the next day I had no issues coming back into country. I still did not get a stamp in my passport.

I am flying back to the States October 3rd, so I have no plans to extend my stay beyond that.

Two side notes: I used ATM at HBC bank, you can withdraw up to $300 US dollars per transaction, I did 3 transaction total of $900 US dollars, each transaction has a $6.00 dollar fee, my bank waives the fee.

Second note: Colonia,at least for food is expensive ( I mean New York City prices).

Let me tell you of my experience going to uraguay.

I came to BA on May 1, normal 90 day tourist visa which was to expire July 29. I'm mid July I went to Colonia for the day, semi visa run and to get dollars out of ATM

When I re entered Argentina, I did not get a visa stamp in my passport. I went to this forum and was given web site address to check my visa status , it showed I was now ok until October 12.

A few days ago I went to Colonia again with a friend and spent the night and got more dollars from ATM. Before I got on the ferry I asked the Argentina custom officer if there would be any issues returning, I would not have boarded the boat if there were issues. I was told I was fine my visa was good until October 12.

When I returned to Argentina the next day I had no issues coming back into country. I still did not get a stamp in my passport.

I am flying back to the States October 3rd, so I have no plans to extend my stay beyond that.

Two side notes: I used ATM at HBC bank, you can withdraw up to $300 US dollars per transaction, I did 3 transaction total of $900 US dollars, each transaction has a $6.00 dollar fee, my bank waives the fee.

Second note: Colonia,at least for food is expensive ( I mean New York City prices).
You may be able to call your bank and raising the 300$ limit on your side. I called to get my chase card limit increased.

If you're leaving for a purpose (get dollars) that's probably fair, visa runs are not recommended nowadays. Everytime you leave you run the risk of being denied entry, where as if you overstay, you pay the fine to leave. If your intentions are long term, this is likely the surest path. 1 bad migraciones experience and your time in Argentina is blocked out for a while.

You may be able to call your bank and raising the 300$ limit on your side. I called to get my chase card limit increased.

If you're leaving for a purpose (get dollars) that's probably fair, visa runs are not recommended nowadays. Everytime you leave you run the risk of being denied entry, where as if you overstay, you pay the fine to leave. If your intentions are long term, this is likely the surest path. 1 bad migraciones experience and your time in Argentina is blocked out for a while.
Is there a rule of thumb for an amount of time away from Argentina where it is no longer considered a visa run? Maybe 2 weeks? Maybe a month?

They are not stamping passports anymore. That seems to be part of the issue here-- OP did not get their passport stamped. Well, no one gets their passport stamped anymore. So don't worry about it.

You still have a date... if you leave the country and re-enter, you still get an e-stamp. the worry is if you leave ... you might not be allowed back in

Hi All,
I entered Argentina on June 10th. I am a US citizen here with my wife and child who are dual US/Argentine citizens. We are planning to be here until January of next year. We are planning a visa run to Colonia next weekend. We always assumed this would not be an issue until I read this thread today. Does anyone have any information on the extended stay visa?

G
Hi All,
I entered Argentina on June 10th. I am a US citizen here with my wife and child who are dual US/Argentine citizens. We are planning to be here until January of next year. We are planning a visa run to Colonia next weekend. We always assumed this would not be an issue until I read this thread today. Does anyone have any information on the extended stay visa?
It’s pretty easy. I think you wait until a few days before your visa is to expire and then get another 90 days. Someone spoke about it here somewhat recently. Idk if you’re in CABA or provincia but you basically go to an immigration office a few days before your visa expires and they fix you up.

Hi All,
Why not apply for residency? In your case, with an Argentinian wife, it would be permanent, and you'd never have to deal with visa runs ever again.

FBI background check, apostilles, appointments, lines, birth certificate, marriage certificate.

Back