Uruguayan President seizes Pfizer vaccines Argentine neglected

Let's see. Argentina has 15 times bigger population than Uruguay. Yesterday [1] 63 people died of coronavirus in Uruguay and 248 in Argentina. 63 * 15 = 945. So, the death rate in Uruguay is like 4 times higher than in Argentina.

And yeah, Pensador got vaccinated by Sinovac in Uruguay.

Why again Uruguay feels superior?
I think it was an attempt to follow the Bhutan model, small country, closed borders, scatter incense, pray, and wait until the last moment, hopefully ducking under the wire and vaccinating everyone just in time. Except, well...

Chile tried the same, didn't work either. Countries with bigger populations like Argentina needed to plan in advance, and yes, shit happenz as my insurance company tells me. Still, being a "pillo" (don't know the equivalent Uruguayan expression, sorry) isn't a substitute for at least trying.

Please define the word "you" (specifically, an age group if posssible) and provide any data you can to support the claim that "you still have a 20% chance of dying weeks after the 2nd dose."

Looking at the CFR in this link, I cannot find any statics that indicate the death rate for covid was ever 20%, even in Italy where the fatality rate was the greatest: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid.

The highest CFR I can remember was over 80%, but that was for elderly patients who were hospitalized and put on ventilators, long before any of the "vacccines" became availble.
The report I saw was here (there were several reports about this in the Chilean media, this is just one):

-67% de efectividad para prevenir covid-19 sintomático.
-85% de efectividad para prevenir hospitalizaciones por covid-19.
-89% de efectividad para evitar ingresos a UCI por covid-19.
-80% de efectividad para evitar muertes por covid-19.

Actually, I don't know how to interpret the results. It is a bit eye-catching that the 80% effectivity in preventing death is lower than that in preventing either hospitalization or ICU. I don't know what to make of it, maybe you do?
--
Edited to add:
“Cuando hablamos de efectividad de un 80% para prevenir muertes debido a covid, estamos diciendo que de 100 personas que hubieran fallecido de covid, 20 lo harán si estamos todos vacunados”, explicó Araos.

De esta forma, de 100 personas que mueren por covid-19 si todos estuviésemos vacunados, 80 se salvarían".

So SinoVac reduces mortality by 80%. Seems to be still not very good compared to other vaccines, but when the results are presented like that it's not too easy to compare. Do let me know what you think.

Last edited:
The report I saw was here (there were several reports about this in the Chilean media, this is just one):

-67% de efectividad para prevenir covid-19 sintomático.
-85% de efectividad para prevenir hospitalizaciones por covid-19.
-89% de efectividad para evitar ingresos a UCI por covid-19.
-80% de efectividad para evitar muertes por covid-19.

Actually, I don't know how to interpret the results. It is a bit eye-catching that the 80% effectivity in preventing death is lower than that in preventing either hospitalization or ICU. I don't know what to make of it, maybe you do?
--
Edited to add:
“Cuando hablamos de efectividad de un 80% para prevenir muertes debido a covid, estamos diciendo que de 100 personas que hubieran fallecido de covid, 20 lo harán si estamos todos vacunados”, explicó Araos.

De esta forma, de 100 personas que mueren por covid-19 si todos estuviésemos vacunados, 80 se salvarían".

So SinoVac reduces mortality by 80%. Seems to be still not very good compared to other vaccines, but when the results are presented like that it's not too easy to compare. Do let me know what you think.
Perhaps it means that there is an 80% reduction in the CFR (fatality rate) in any given age range (since its not specified) if you get covid after being vaccinated.

Using myself as an example, my chance of dying if I get covid and I have not been vaccinated is 5%.

Based on the 80% reduction in the figures in the quote, my CFR would drop by 80% after vaccination (to one percent instead of five)..

I don't think it means my chance of dying from covid would be 20% at any time after vaccination, especially since it was only 5% in the first place

For the record, I have not had Sinovac yet, I am waiting in the hopes that other options will open up eventually. Until then I live protocols. I have a decent gym in the house, everything I need to workout and I take long walks where few are around. Work is good no losses there as of yet. But I am exercising 3 to 4 hours a day, healthy body healthy immune system is a known scientific fact. But I do take extreme precautions to keep my distance far from those paying no attention to protocols or what they are doing. I could die tomorrow that is true but I do not want to die intubated. Just sayin!

Why doesnt Argentina just invent and manufacture its own vaccine?

One more time: comparing vaccines like this is like comparing a Ferrari and a Lamborghini by putting a different driver on each car, then driving each vehicle in a different track, and then trying to argue which one of the two cars is faster.
The strains that are prevalent in Chile are not the same strains that are prevalent in the US or Europe when the other vaccines were tested. The populations were different, the level of exposure was different, etc...

What we do know is that ALL of them are safe and highly effective in reducing hospitalization and deaths by COVID and that is what we need.
80% effectiveness against death is amazing and better than the most optimistic projections scientists were making about upcoming COVID vaccines just a year ago.

What does 80% effectiveness mean? That 80% of vaccinated people are immune, or that people have only two chances out of ten of dying from COVID?

What does 80% effectiveness mean? That 80% of vaccinated people are immune, or that people have only two chances out of ten of dying from COVID?

It means that if without the vaccine 100 people out of 10 thousand who caught COVID ended up dying, after the vaccine the numbers dropped to 20 out of 10 thousand.
But the more important metric is that it dropped hospitalizations by 90%. what makes COVID really deadly is that it overwhelms the medial system, so people end up not only dying of COVID, but of other things also, because all the intensive care units and medical staff are occupied with COVID patients. The really positive thing about the vaccines is that it solves the overwhelmed medical system issue.

Back