US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Argentina, as in many other countries, driving an exotic Italian sports car or wearing a diamond solitaire ring can lead to an early demise.

In Argentina, as in many other countries, driving an exotic Italian sports car or wearing a diamond solitaire ring can lead to an early demise.
Generally speaking, people who can eat and afford what they want ... within reason, they are no threat to another. The problem lies with those who are desperate, envious ... etc ...

Was buying an overpriced mattress and had a conversation with the merchant where she complained about the low quality of the clothing in Argentina and how they have to go to Chile to get any clothing and electronics and how much it sucks to have to travel for goods. Then in the next breath she said the Chileans are "slaves" and have to "work 8 hours a day without a break and they're always standing all day long for their jobs".

*shrugs*

it's interesting that she mentions standing as a hot point since all jobs here that should require standing are provided a chair (just wonder if this was a hard fought union victory or something). Everyone sits when they could obviously do the job better in a standing manner.

I'm convinced that Nike and other name brands ship their second quality items here and sell them as 1st quality in local stores. Maybe also the stuff that doesn't sell from the outlet malls in the states? Doesn't make sense when you do the math that these are first quality items yet have the same price as the US. They're all imported from China anyways.

Last edited:
I'm convinced that Nike and other name brands ship their second quality items here and sell them as 1st quality in local stores. Maybe also the stuff that doesn't sell from the outlet malls in the states? Doesn't make sense when you do the math that these are first quality items yet have the same price as the US. They're all imported from China anyways.

All Nike's are knockoffs smuggled via Paraguay. Except in the Nike stores..?

An electronics importer once told me that he bought factory seconds to supply his local store. With import duty added, first quality stuff ended up priced beyond the locals' reach. So, he bought equipment that had passed 16 out of 20 quality checks, say. Most of the time it worked, some of the time it did not.

Factory rejects end up in Uruguay, I guess. Never saw such junk as what is sold there.

Saw some Chilean females in a military march, looked interesting and attractive:

Interested to know why the outfits look so similar to WWII Germany.

If you dig Women in fatigues..! Google Chilean Army helmet design..?

The Chilean Army hired a few German officers in 1890 to re-organize the ranks per Prussian standards, adopting the German style on many things from tactics and organization to uniforms and even songs. ... Still, the German influence prevails in traditional uses and uniforms.

Buying 2nd quality or refurb to pass them as good is an extremely common practice.
In the early days of PC computing, one of the oldest companies still in the market used to operate more or less like this:
Let say a container costs $100k. That was the total capital of these guys.
They were selling one container at the store while there was one in transit and another being prepared in Miami.
They were juggling all the time.
If the goods were rotten, happened with hard drives and PSU a lot, they would bet on people not returning or waste time until they could replace the items with the next shippment and pass the losses to the next sucker.
There was a moment, 30 years ago, when they were assembling PC only for a $10 margin in order to stay in business. That also screwed with the competition prices.
They were forced to move the stock in a hurry to have enough cash to deal with the next container shipping.
Good times. LOL.

Iz

EE UU is the materialist world capital. (My opinion. It's what you'd expect within the world's largest economy.)

There is an ongoing advertising campaign hell bent on conditioning people to want more than they can afford or need. It's quite effecive.

The funny thing is, the people who have the most in terms of possessions seem to be the least satisfied group of people you can run into or know.

Over time, I have embraced minimalism. I did it because I learned most things do not make me happy. And of the things I do have, and of the ones that do give me pleasure, they have something in common ... They are of high, impeccable quality, generally used quite frequently because they are associated with my most serious interests in life. I have leaned that less is more and that more has a DILUTIVE, controlling effect on your quality of life. After I have my necessities and a few treasured personal possessions I prefer a well stocked bank vault full of freedom rather than loads of crap. To me, this is the framework of living a great life.

I am and I can be happy in a place like Argentina. My only adjustment is to relinquish one of my treasures. (Exotic Italian sports car.) It's neither practical or wise to have it, or something similar there. If you have freedom ... that is code for considerable assets, Argentina is a place to keep a low profile. Being a target is a pain in the neck at best and ending up the victim of a robbery gone bad (DEAD!) is AVOIDABLE!! Why invite trouble into your life?

You seem like an interesting person El Tigre. If you don't mind me asking, where are you originally from? And can you say more about your loved possessions? If you have the money wouldn't you want to have "bases" around the world like many rich people seem to have, multiple passports, homes in multiple places, a membership to a prepper bunker community, in case things go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back