US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
EE UU

No, I am not going into detail about what I treasure here. My interests are unique to me and I am not looking to give others hints about my identity.

If simple is interesting, then I am interesting I guess.

One of my mottos in life: You cannot take it with you, so why try and accumulate it? Mind you the intangibles such as relationships, love, good experiences ... etc ... as well as lots of money (VERY TANGIBLE, yet a necessary evil.) are well worth accumulating.

In everything we own, we are just custodians of it for the time we hold possession. I don't need the "MENTAL SECURITY" of owning a penthouse overlooking the ocean or some other majestic view ... I can rent it for a fraction and still enjoy the same view equally well for as long as I care to pony up with the fee. And, I have the ability to walk away anytime I like without the hassle of trying to find a buyer. Multiple properties are not for me. If you don't feel like caring for all of them, then you need support and you cannot monitor it all ... bad things can happen with your closest part of your circle of servants ... they see the holes in your life and if they are dishonest, they will seek to exploit them. There are tons of stories with that maid or butler who stole from their employer over decades before they got caught. All they really needed to do was ask, yet they chose to be deceitful. A waste and a compromise of self in the process. I am not into collecting properties, passports or anything similar. I only expect to live for about 80 to 100 years old, I will be too busy living and enjoy rather than taking care of physical assets.

EE UU

No, I am not going into detail about what I treasure here. My interests are unique to me and I am not looking to give others hints about my identity.

One of my mottos in life: You cannot take it with you, so why try and accumulate it? Mind you the intangibles such as relationships, love, good experiences ... etc ... as well as lots of money (VERY TANGIBLE, yet a necessary evil.) are well worth accumulating.

In everything we own, we are just custodians of it for the time we hold possession. I don't need the "MENTAL SECURITY" of owning a penthouse overlooking the ocean or some other majestic view ... I can rent it for a fraction and still enjoy the same view equally well for as long as I care to pony up with the fee. And, I have the ability to walk away anytime I like without the hassle of trying to find a buyer. Multiple properties are not for me. If you don't feel like caring for all of them, then you need support and you cannot monitor it all ... bad things can happen with your closest part of your circle of servants ... they see the holes in your life and if they are dishonest, they will seek to exploit them. There are tons of stories with that maid or butler who stole from their employer over decades before they got caught. All they really needed to do was ask, yet they chose to be deceitful. A waste and a compromise of self in the process. I am not into collecting properties, passports or anything similar. I only expect to live for about 80 to 100 years old, I will be too busy living and enjoy rather than taking care of physical assets.

Interesting. Would you participate if I start a thread titled "Interview with El Tigre?" Yes, don't reveal anything you're uncomfortable revealing.

EE UU

Here is something to chew on Sequoia,

I have a house and everything that is needed to live in it / operate it. All the essentials, but nothing more.

I also have my personal things as well. Stuff I need, stuff I like.

With the exception of a few large things ... (Thinking automobile, LSA, Fitness equipment ... etc ... AKA toys by most people.) Everything I need, want and like can fit inside of 6 pieces of luggage. Even though I have roots, I am portable whenever, or if ever the moment or mood arrives. I do not love anything that can not love me back.

Interesting. Would you participate if I start a thread titled "Interview with El Tigre?" Yes, don't reveal anything you're uncomfortable revealing.

I am flattered, but ... NOPE! (I don't want my 5 minutes of fame. I am a private person. I'd rather not go there.)

BESIDES, I am already participating.

I am flattered, but ... NOPE! (I don't want my 5 minutes of fame. I am a private person. I'd rather not go there.)

BESIDES, I am already participating.

OK. Fair enough.

Here is something to chew on Sequoia,

I have a house and everything that is needed to live in it / operate it. All the essentials, but nothing more.

I also have my personal things as well. Stuff I need, stuff I like.

With the exception of a few large things ... (Thinking automobile, LSA, Fitness equipment ... etc ... AKA toys by most people.) Everything I need, want and like can fit inside of 6 pieces of luggage. Even though I have roots, I am portable whenever, or if ever the moment or mood arrives. I do not love anything that can not love me back.

Are you a renter or owner? What's LSA?

I own. And to boot, very close to the ocean ... talk about a contradiction huh???

LSA = Light Sport Aircraft. >>> Aviation, an airplane!

FYI JB, it now takes a week to get Amazon prime stuff almost anywhere (outside of major cities in states where there is a distribution center). Thanks to Covid-19.

I would definitely agree. An average US citizen with a typical consumer/convenience-based mindset will go crazy. If you take such things as a puzzle to be solved, a challenge to be overcome, etc., it becomes a game which can be won with some challenge, once you understand the rules of engagement. Figuring out what/where/when to buy each type of thing takes research, time, trial-and-error, etc.

I can still remember the joy I experienced after getting two working cell phone sim cards with Movistar in Buenos Aires after about a week of marching to various places, feeding pesos into various machines, and several hours on the phone both talking and texting to Movistar (along with a local friend interpreting). Topping off in Mendoza was still confusing and a hassle every month, but it added to the sense of accomplishment. And after mastering the skill, it became only a minor nuisance, easily combined with some other routine errands. If such things make you feel angry instead of successful, Argentina is not for you. I never would have predicted this, but it made me felt great, like I had kicked Movistar's ass in some epic battle.

I'd say Argentina life is sort of the Harley-Davidson of countries. Harley-Davidsons are Gorgeous, noisy, often obnoxious, notoriously unreliable, frequently uncomfortable, poorly handling, and slow. They are also chock full of Passion, history, nostalgia, character, imagery, imagination, and tradition. People love them, not just despite their shortcomings, but actually because of them. In my life I have owned 1 Yamaha and 7 Hondas and zero Harleys. The uber-reliable, super-fast, comfortable, high-tech Honda I have now in the USA is for sale - looking to get a Triumph Bonneville as a replacement, for most of the reasons people get Harleys.
You sure know your bikes.

Thanks for sharing. Spain sounds interesting, but am concerned about the higher income tax and distant time zone from US. Something I'm still looking into.
You only pay resident tax if you stay more than 6 months in Spain, but very few people are paying for it.
There are tons of gringos who retire in Europe and not paying that. I think Argentina has the same asset tax law, if you are so lawful, you are subject to tax in Argentina too once you become a resident.
Once you live in a place, the local time is your time. It's not a problem unless you travel back and forth monthly.
If too many things are factored in the equation, life won't be fun. I would choose whatever the country/city I like and make sure my dinero goes longer in that country. So Paris is not my place for long term stay. Jeffrey Epstein has a house in Paris. I choose the Paris of South America.

The main attraction is European"ambiance" at sudaca prices. Beats Bolivia , Ecuador, Paraguay, Chile , Venezuela, Peru, Mexico, Central America.

European"ambiance" at sudaca prices is translated as " Poor man's Europe" :) . So it's the decision between Europe and poor man's Europe.

You are 100 % correct don't pay attention to some Gringos that want Argentina to be like Dallas ,,LOL

More than ever the saying " Love it or Leave it" Prevails as they use to tell me in good Ole Texas..! Country of the biggest Fly Swats..!
If you want to understand Argentina look at the picture below.. What do you see?

View attachment 7163
That's a hard long walk for the sheep, their asses are frozen, and they will be slaughtered when they finish the walk.
Do not tell me this is how Argentina works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back