US citizens and Sputnik V Situation

Buquebus and Colonia Express still require citizenship or residency or special permission to enter the destination country. Should change by November I expect.

I haven't been keeping up on the latest news... I know the US hasn't approved Sputnik, but far as I know travellers to the US have to take a Covid test before flying. It seems the vaccine isn't required?

I just got first dose of Sputnik yesterday. I didn't want the Russian or Chinese vaccine, but here in GBA they don't tell you what you're going to get. I waited so long because I wanted a choice, but with all the cases in the US lately, thought I should try my chances. My husband had gone the day before for his 2nd Sputnik jab and asked what they were giving as first dose and they said Astrazeneca. Turns out not, but I didn't find out until I had already been in line for half an hour. The whole system has been awful, imo. I'm jealous of my family members in the US that just had to walk in and get the shot of their choice with no wait at their local supermarket or drugstore.

I felt sick all of today. No way I'm going to get a second Sputnik shot. I was told the second shot could be Moderna, so I'll definitely be holding out for that. Whether here or when I can finally travel to the US, I don't know. At this point, I'd prefer it done in the US.
I think you did the right thing by accepting the Sputnik dose. Your health comes first, and Sputnik is by all accounts one of the best vaccines available. Now you've taken care of your health you can think about traveling, and also not have to worry too much about catching COVID on the trip.

Even a first dose of Sputnik seems to be very good, if you prefer to skip the second one. As far as vaccine reactions are concerned, as Aztangogirl says, everyone's different. You might not have a strong reaction to the second dose. AstraZeneca, which is similar to Sputnik, knocked me flat for 3 days after the first dose, but only a mild fever after the second dose. All preferable to having COVID, so I'm not complaining. And my experience with the vaccination centres was very different, first time in and out in about 30 mins, very well organized, second time around at a different centre my appointment was for 8am, I guess the staff showed up about 8:30, and finally started vaccinating around 9am. I'd say it was moderately annoying, not exactly awful though.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines used in the US (the only options there for a long time I think) are also known to produce strong reactions in some people. When my sister was getting her Pfizer vaccine, a previous patient was unconscious (even after being hit with an epi-pen).

This is not just an issue for US citizens. I'm in the same boat regarding a return to my home country. I'm part vaccinated with Sputnik V (second dose with Pfizer), but as far as the European Medicines Agency is concerned, I'm not vaccinated at all. Argentina is still one of the 5 countries you have to go into 12-day mandatory hotel quarantine (pay in advance: €1,800) if you're arriving into Ireland from, despite the fact that the incidence of Covid is 7 times higher there than in Argentina right now. It's f**king nuts! I really need to go in December or January, I'll just have to see how the situation evolves.
I read Clarín and La Nación that the cost of flights to Miami before November have sky-rocketed due to demand, presumably with argentines going to get a shot of the Janssen and sort themselves out that way. There was also some speculation that it might be possible to hop over to Uruguay to get a Pfizer jab, which would solve my problem, but apparently they're not jabbing foreigners there yet. So nothing to do but wait and see...

For people wanting / needing to do some vaccination tourism, get doses of an approved vaccine, etc, I saw this today: visitpanama.com/vacuna Looks like it's AstraZeneca from the first of October.

Back