US Citizenship for Baby question - Help!

nikad

Registered
So we are planning to travel to the US in November and we did not get our baby a US passport or reported his birth to the US embassy yet ( due to several reasons and that included my own passport being expired ) If anybody has gone through this process, provided we have all the required documentation, do you think we have enough time to do it? How long did it take you to get your baby´s passport after you had your interview? I would really appreciate your input!

The other alternative is to get him a US visa, but because his dad is American citizen, the process is somewhat different and lengthy and involves two interviews, etc.

Thanks for helping out a mama! :D

nikad said:
So we are planning to travel to the US in November and we did not get our baby a US passport or reported his birth to the US embassy yet ( due to several reasons and that included my own passport being expired ) If anybody has gone through this process, provided we have all the required documentation, do you think we have enough time to do it? How long did it take you to get your baby´s passport after you had your interview? I would really appreciate your input!

The other alternative is to get him a US visa, but because his dad is American citizen, the process is somewhat different and lengthy and involves two interviews, etc.

Thanks for helping out a mama! :D

Hey, I have gone through this and you have PLENTY of time. When we applied it only took 2 weeks (maybe a little less) to get his passport.

Unlike Argentina, things run pretty smoothly at the US Embassy.

You will be fine, but you will need to make sure you have all your documents in order. I don't remember them all, but it was an original copy of my U.S. birth certificate, passport, spouses Argentina documentation, baby's birth certificate and documents from Argentina, and the papers you need to fill out for the Passport...oh, and 2 passport photos.

Good luck but do it quickly

assuming the baby was born here , Remember you will need an Argentine passport for baby when you leave Argentina .

glasgowjohn said:
assuming the baby was born here , Remember you will need an Argentine passport for baby when you leave Argentina .
Yes, thanks for the heads up though. I got him an Arg passport when I renewed mine a couple of weeks ago ( fortunately! )

It took us about 2 weeks after we went to consulate appointment with all documentation. All Argentina documents have to be translated by acceptable US consulate translator.

I think Sleuth your reference to "physical presence" is the requirement that whoever is the US citizen needs to demonstrate three or four (i forgot exact) consecutive years living in US at some point during their lifetime. And it is true high school or college transcript is the easiest way to demonstrate this. Tax returns and leases do not work.

Important -- when leaving Argentina you will need baby's Argentine birth certificate. Passport is not sufficient. Baby requires authentic birth certificate for exit.

You should have plenty of time, but go now. Both of you must be present for the interview. The main hurdle you have is proving that the baby is his child, as that is what confers US citizenship on the child. If your documents are in order then things should go quite smoothly. No reason to fear!

As for what Sleuth stated, there is a physical presence requirement for the father. If you were married during the birth of the child the father had to be present in the US for at least 5 years total during his life, all before the child was born, and at least two of those years after he was 14 years old. There are some exceptions to this, but no sense going into them if not necessary to do so.

You will most likely want to get a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) at the same time as you get the passport. This is the equivalent of the standard birth certificate that is issued in the US and will be important to your child in the future, particularly if he/she works and lives in the US at any time.

All these posts above are absolutely correct. I did it twice for both of my kids born in Argentina. It couldn't have been easier and as always the US Embassy employees were very helpful. For both kids it only took about 2 weeks.

You have to fill out some paperwork and also as Sleuth mentioned I had to get my University transcript. But that is easy enough. Most major universities can simply fax it to you. They charge a fee for it but it's very quick and easy and the US Embassy accepted it. I also brought my high school transcript as well for good measure. My high school didn't charge any fee to fax it.

Definitely I agree to get the CRBA while you are there. Then you pay a DHL fee before you leave and they DHL it right to your residence in Buenos Aires. Very quick and easy. Also, you can apply for your child's social security card there in the Embassy which I'd also recommend. It's actually quicker applying for it at the Embassy vs. the USA believe it or not.

So we are going tomorrow to the embassy and I can´t find any information on where or how to pay for the passport, etc :p Anybody pretty pretty please knows how this is done? I am worried we will miss something :p

Also is it true ( according to the US embassy site ) that we cannot even take a toy or diaper bag or keys or glasses or purse or anything at all but our own selves????

Back