US employer concerned about "183 day tax rule"

Fiscal

Registered
They believe that if I stay over 183 days in Argentina over a 12 month period, I will subject the company to all sorts of Argentinian taxes.

Is this true? And if so, how does Argentina even police this? I have never had anyone in Argentina question how long I've been in and out of the country or who I work for.

They believe that if I stay over 183 days in Argentina over a 12 month period, I will subject the company to all sorts of Argentinian taxes.

Is this true? And if so, how does Argentina even police this? I have never had anyone in Argentina question how long I've been in and out of the country or who I work for.

I think that it is you who is going to be taxable.
However, you should ask an accountant.

I think that it is you who is going to be taxable.
However, you should ask an accountant.

My employer doesn't care about what taxes I would owe (that's my problem) but they seem to think that if they have an Argentinian employee as a result of me being here over 183 days, they will be subject to penalities or taxes or considered to be doing business here.

My employer is a large company and maintains an office in Argentina but does so through some sort of weird joint venture structure so they are not considered the actual owner and the office here pays fees to my employer, kind of like a franchise.

If your company has offices here, etc maybe they should talk to a specialized intl tax adviser such as Ernst and Young

if your employer is a large company why is this your problem? let them deal with it.

if your employer is a large company why is this your problem? let them deal with it.

They are concerned my presence in Argentina will subject them to massive tax liability here and so their way of dealing with that is recalling me to the US.

They are concerned my presence in Argentina will subject them to massive tax liability here and so their way of dealing with that is recalling me to the US.

if that question never occurred to them to begin with before you came here with i think there are some serious process failures...

if that question never occurred to them to begin with before you came here with i think there are some serious process failures...

Notwithstanding what certain of my American right-leaning compatriots think, massive for-profit corporations are not always perfectly efficient and error free.

Back