US Migrant Visa for Argentine

Jennifer Lee

Registered
Hello! I am a United States citizen living in Buenos Aires. I recently accepted a job as an assistant professor at a Cal State in the US. I plan to move back to the United States in August and am inquiring about the best way to bring my Argentine boyfriend. We have a 9 month old son together (our son is a dual Argentina and US citizen).

Would you recommend we get my boyfriend's visa by:

1) Fiance Visa and marrying in the US
2) Getting Married in Argentina and applying for a spouse visa
3) Using our son's citizenship to sponsor his father

Or an alternative way? We are looking for the quickest way, as we only have 6 months before my job starts.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Why don't you just go to the US consulate and ask? That's what they are there for. You can probably even call.

I would directly rule out option 2, as this process will take at least 1 year - so you will have to move to the US (presumably with your Son) and be apart from boyfriend for certain amount of time - unless he already has a US visitor visa... For a concrete example, when we moved back to the states, the time between sending in paperwork initially and my wife getting her migrant visa was ~14 months. This was in 2014.

Option 3 will also probably take a similar amount of time - although I don't know specifically as I haven't dealt with the process. My brother and sister-in-law just sponsored his mother-in-law to migrate - so I can reach out and figure out that time-frame, although it probably differs, as my sister-in-law isn't a minor :)

Option 1 might be your best option if you are both thinking about marriage!

Just spoke to my brother - it took them ~ 10 months to get everything done for his mother-in-law (who is from Turkey). 2 - 3 months to get paperwork together and get biometrics done + 7 months of actual processing.

I would recommend to check out Visa Journey - I believe they have an average processing time tracker for different types of applications!

I would directly rule out option 2, as this process will take at least 1 year - so you will have to move to the US (presumably with your Son) and be apart from boyfriend for certain amount of time - unless he already has a US visitor visa... For a concrete example, when we moved back to the states, the time between sending in paperwork initially and my wife getting her migrant visa was ~14 months. This was in 2014.

Option 3 will also probably take a similar amount of time - although I don't know specifically as I haven't dealt with the process. My brother and sister-in-law just sponsored his mother-in-law to migrate - so I can reach out and figure out that time-frame, although it probably differs, as my sister-in-law isn't a minor :)

Option 1 might be your best option if you are both thinking about marriage!

Back