What does this election mean for immigrants?

mageesa

Registered
Of course, the economy; which is probably going to favor those earning in dollars either way.

(I assume Milei less in favor of a wealth tax?)

But I see he also favors ¨certain restrictions to foreign nationals, such as the payment of residency fees, the prohibition of entry to those with criminal records and the immediate deportation of non-Argentine criminals.¨ as well as this: ¨According to Milei's plan, foreigners entering the country must have health insurance with coverage of up to US$ 30,000 which will be mandatory for citizens of countries demanding such insurance from Argentine travelers.¨ (source)

Setting that aside, has either candidate mentioned specific policies that would directly affect aspiring immigrants? I am of course interested from the EEUU perspective; there was the change last year to require 5X minimum salary to apply for the Visa Rentista, which put me on ice for now.

And of course theres issues around AirBnBs and apartments.

But wouldnt he want to encourage people to move from the EEUU, in order to get more $USD into the economy? It doesnt sound like it; I think he has mentioned healthcare and college shouldnt be free for us. Might he turn Trump-ey if elected, and adopt an overall anti-immigrant position?

(I did a quick Google, but I cant find anyone breaking it down.)

Of course, the economy; which is probably going to favor those earning in dollars either way.

(I assume Milei less in favor of a wealth tax?)

But I see he also favors ¨certain restrictions to foreign nationals, such as the payment of residency fees, the prohibition of entry to those with criminal records and the immediate deportation of non-Argentine criminals.¨ as well as this: ¨According to Milei's plan, foreigners entering the country must have health insurance with coverage of up to US$ 30,000 which will be mandatory for citizens of countries demanding such insurance from Argentine travelers.¨ (source)

Setting that aside, has either candidate mentioned specific policies that would directly affect aspiring immigrants? I am of course interested from the EEUU perspective; there was the change last year to require 5X minimum salary to apply for the Visa Rentista, which put me on ice for now.

And of course theres issues around AirBnBs and apartments.

But wouldnt he want to encourage people to move from the EEUU, in order to get more $USD into the economy? It doesnt sound like it; I think he has mentioned healthcare and college shouldnt be free for us. Might he turn Trump-ey if elected, and adopt an overall anti-immigrant position?

(I did a quick Google, but I cant find anyone breaking it down.)
What's a residency fee?

What's a residency fee?
The only "residency fee" I can think of is the fee that is charged with the submition of the original application for residency as well the annual renewals.

After permanent residency is granted, there are no additional fees (unless you lose the permanent residency and have to start over)..

The only "residency fee" I can think of is the fee that is charged with the submition of the original application for residency as well the annual renewals.

After permanent residency is granted, there are no additional fees (unless you lose the permanent residency and have to start over)..
Maybe they meant "reciprocity" fee.

Unless Massa is able to require all transfer of dollars into Argentina to be converted to pesos at the official rate.

According to Milei's plan, foreigners entering the country must have health insurance with coverage of up to US$ 30,000 which will be mandatory for citizens of countries demanding such insurance from Argentine travelers.¨ (source)

Would this apply only to tourists ot to "foreigners" who are temporary or permanent residients of Argentina as well...and only take effect when they "returned" to Argentina?

But wouldnt he want to encourage people to move from the EEUU, in order to get more $USD into the economy? It doesnt sound like it;

I would not say that those of us who make WU transfers (among others) are bringing "more USD into the economy."

We get the proceds in pesos and spend the pesos here,

It could be argued that we are actually adding to the increase of the supply of pesos, which might be considred inflationary, even though the pesos we receive are already "in circulation" in Argentina.

I think he has mentioned healthcare and college shouldnt be free for us.

The distinction between tourists and temporary residents needs to be clarified. Until citizenship is obtained, we are all foreigners...

Does anyone know if if this would apply only to non-Mercosur foreigners.

Might he turn Trump-ey if elected, and adopt an overall anti-immigrant position?

I would like to see quotes of any of Trump's statements that support the claim that he had/has an "overall anti-immigrant position."

Last edited:
I would like to see quotes of any of Trump's statements that support the claim that he had/has an "overall anti-immigrant position."
I know he mentioned "criminals" entering the US illegally from Mexico, but I never got the impresion that he was or is anti-immigrant overall,

especially since he has employed hundreds (if not thousands) of immigrants, and still seems to be married to one.

PS: Yes, I've heard about The WALL:

Last edited:
I would not say that those of us who make WU transfers (among others) are bringing "more USD into the economy."
I know I'm not a permanent person, but I always bring $USD with me to pay rent, pay for private lessons, any sort of transaction where I'm friendly with the seller and want to make their dollar mattress a little 'fluffier'... most of my friends who come for more than a few months bring cash, as well as make the WU transfers (and not everyone bothers with that, now that credit cards are working). I think most people go back and forth enough to use a combo of cash and WU and CC.

Unless Massa is able to require all transfer of dollars into Argentina to be converted to pesos at the official rate.
Eek that would put a cramp in my style. But I don't think that's in the future with Massa, since they did the opposite for Credit Cards just this year, right? Who knows what Milei would do, in the meantime while he waits for dollarization.

I know he mentioned "criminals" entering the US illegally from Mexico, but I never got the impresion that he was or is anti-immigrant overall,

especially since he has employed hundreds (if not thousands) of immigrants, and still seems to be married to one.

PS: Yes, I've heard about The WALL:
Well, technically everyone who enters from Mexico illegally is a criminal, and he certainly wanted to put a stop to that. He was also not to keen on immigrants from Muslim countries. For instance:
"When I’m elected I will suspend immigration from areas of the world where there’s a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe or our allies until we fully understand how to end these threats. After a full …
(APPLAUSE)
Thank you.
And by the way we have no choice. After a full and partial and long — really long overdue security assessment we will develop a responsible immigration policy that serves the interests and values of America."

After his election, there was Executive order 13769, replaced by EO 13780 (for reasons of constitutionality, as I recall):
"Executive Order 13769 lowered the number of refugees to be admitted into the United States in 2017 to 50,000, suspended the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for 120 days, suspended the entry of Syrian refugees indefinitely, directed some cabinet secretaries to suspend entry of those whose countries do not meet adjudication standards under U.S. immigration law for 90 days, and included exceptions on a case-by-case basis. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) listed these countries as Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen. Iraq was also included until it was dropped following sharp criticism from the Iraqi government and promises of improved vetting of Iraqi citizens in collaboration with the Iraqi government.[6][7] More than 700 travelers were detained, and up to 60,000 visas were "provisionally revoked".[8]
(of course, from Wikipedia)

I recall all of this kerfuffle very clearly because my friend was dating a Syrian refugee who was about to get sent back, so they got married lickety-split. Other of my muslim friends who were from the countries mentioned (or other countries with muslim populations) were afraid to leave the country, even for business, thinking they might not get back in. Also, I knew some young people who were in the 'Dreamers' status, who thought they might get deported to countries they didn't even remember. (discussion, that was also overturned by the court).

Maybe I just remember it because I have a bunch of immigrant friends who were in a panic.

Back