US partner visa?

lauBA

Registered
I am planning on moving back to the US in the next couple of months. I am currently living with my Argentina boyfriend (also has EU passport)and he is going to make the move with me.

Does anyone know if there is a partner visa for the US? I know some other countries have visas for co-inhabiting couples.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are moving back to the US with a Argentine bf/gf...

Thanks!

My experience is there is nothing that makes co-habitation a special case. In fact, even if you decide to marry there is nothing special that comes along with that either.

When I married my wife who is not US citizen we still had to go through process like anyone else to get green card, and then after she got the green card she has to stay in US to keep it active. We travel all the time. To leave US she has to pay special fee to be out longer than 90 days and we have to go back every 2 years to renew the special right to not be in country.

Now we are actually considering just giving up permanent residence for her and going with VISA as it will probably be less expensive since we travel so much and given the tax laws it is not only confusing but also expensive to figure out what we are supposed to be doing... good luck!

With regard to EU versus Argentina, If he can it would be easier to enter with EU as he does not need VISA. But then you will have to file for permanent residence immediately and unless you are married he will have to get in line... at least that's my understanding. I am sure someone with special connections or smarter than us has figured out an easier way but we never could.

For purposes of getting a US visa and residency for your boyfriend there are only two options: marry now and apply for a spouse visa or apply for a fiancee visa and get married in the US shortly after its approved. There's no such thing as a 'boyfriend visa,' its spouse or fiancee. If those don't won't fit your needs then he can try to get a visa on his own, the tourist visa is the easiest but its very restrictive and its the worst way to go if he wants to live in the US.

There is no such thing as a 'partner Visa' for the US. Check out the US State Department website for all the Visa types. Your boyfriend is going to need to be admitted to the US under one of those visa types. Unless your boyfriend has an employer US sponsor, then most likely he will have to be admitted under a tourist Visa. Tourist Visas are automatic and free (called Visa-Waiver) for EU passport holders.

Upon admission to the US, your boyfriend has the options of: 1)remaining a non-working tourist, 2) marry you and file for permanent residency and work status, 3) or find an employer willing to sponsor him for a temporary employment visa.

All of your immigration questions should be directed to the Immigration Forum http://forums.immigration.com/ and not on this BA forum. There are some 'booby traps' which can catch up your boyfriend if he is not aware of them. Research this carefully, and pay particular attention to 'immigration intent'.

kurtdillard said:
For purposes of getting a US visa and residency for your boyfriend there are only two options: marry now and apply for a spouse visa or apply for a fiancee visa and get married in the US shortly after its approved. There's no such thing as a 'boyfriend visa,' its spouse or fiancee. If those don't won't fit your needs then he can try to get a visa on his own, the tourist visa is the easiest but its very restrictive and its the worst way to go if he wants to live in the US.

Well said. If your intentions are to move to the U.S. to live, you have no other choice but to get married. If he's just going to the U.S. for a visit, he might be eligible for entrance under the Visa Waiver Program. Not all countries in the EU are eligible.

Just to confirm something... I'm assuming OP is a woman... In which case, ah how lucky all of you heterosexual couples are. If OP is a man, you're screwed. Welcome to our world.

You must have been out of the U.S. for a really long time and have forgotten that it's the land of the Puritans!

surfing said:
You must have been out of the U.S. for a really long time and have forgotten that it's the land of the Puritans!

Now just wait a minute!

The current prresident of the United States recently said he believed that gay couples should be able to get married!

But he also said it should be up to the individual states.

Unfortunately, he did not "come out" in support a federal law or a constitutional ammendment which would make it the law of the land!

If the US was still the land of the Puritans, gays couples would be living in fear of their lives, not seeking equal marital rights.

To borrow a phrase, "We've come a long way, baby."

Back