Us Passport Renewal & Dhl

srtamollygreen

Registered
Hi, all. I am sure someone has asked this at some point, but I didn't find anything when I did a search.

I have an appointment next week to renew my US passport at the embassy. The instructions say that I must go to the DHL office on Cabildo in Belgrano/Colegiales in order to "arrange payment before the appointment in order to obtain an airway bill with a tracking number". However, there were no other instructions beyond that.

So, I tried calling that DHL office and got their central office instead. To be honest, I don't have much confidence in the person I spoke with. She said all I would need to do is bring my passport and DNI and at the window ask about visas. She didn't say anything about payment or bringing my appointment confirmation. When I tried reiterating that it's a passport renewal, not visa, she said they will help me either way. I asked her about payment and she said she had to look into it. The US embassy says (I have checked in person and via the website) that the passport renewal is approximately $110USD. The lady on the phone told me payment will be 238 pesos. I suppose that would make sense if that is the delivery fee and the passport fee I pay at the embassy.

Anyway, I am wondering if any of you (specifically US passport holders) have gone through this process here recently and if you can tell me exactly what the DHL office will ask from me. This way, I won't have to do the typical trámite run that we've all experienced! (You know, where you have to go back up to 3 times because there's always something missing ;-) ) I live in the Almagro so it's a bit of a commute.

I am hoping to go sometime this week, so I thank you in advance for your swift responses! :)

I would advise speaking to a lawyer. Celano and Associates would be my recommendation.

Do what she told you, it works just fine. My DH did it a couple of months ago and I went with him to the DHL office on Cabildo. It is very small and only one person there usually.

I don't hold a US passport but i renewed mine just a couple of weeks ago. Two visits to the embassy (to apply and pick up the passport). 3000 pesos, 5 weeks wait. I didn't have to do anything else.

Hi, all. I am sure someone has asked this at some point, but I didn't find anything when I did a search.
Anyway, I am wondering if any of you (specifically US passport holders) have gone through this process here recently and if you can tell me exactly what the DHL office will ask from me.

This thread explains the process at the Embassy and with DHL.
http://baexpats.org/topic/25065-appointment-to-renew-us-passport/page__st__20
read my posts on page 2 and 3.

I have an appointment next week to renew my US passport at the embassy. The instructions say that I must go to the DHL office on Cabildo in Belgrano/Colegiales in order to "arrange payment before the appointment in order to obtain an airway bill with a tracking number". However, there were no other instructions beyond that.

So, I tried calling that DHL office and got their central office instead. To be honest, I don't have much confidence in the person I spoke with. She said all I would need to do is bring my passport and DNI and at the window ask about visas. She didn't say anything about payment or bringing my appointment confirmation. When I tried reiterating that it's a passport renewal, not visa, she said they will help me either way. I asked her about payment and she said she had to look into it. The US embassy says (I have checked in person and via the website) that the passport renewal is approximately $110USD. The lady on the phone told me payment will be 238 pesos. I suppose that would make sense if that is the delivery fee and the passport fee I pay at the embassy.

Anyway, I am wondering if any of you (specifically US passport holders) have gone through this process here recently and if you can tell me exactly what the DHL office will ask from me. This way, I won't have to do the typical trámite run that we've all experienced! (You know, where you have to go back up to 3 times because there's always something missing ;-) ) I live in the Almagro so it's a bit of a commute.

I am hoping to go sometime this week, so I thank you in advance for your swift responses! :)

You recently traveled to US. Why did you not renew yr passport there itself?

You pay the waybill fee at the DHL office. You bring that with you to the embassy and give it to them at your appointment (where you pay your passport renewal fee). Very simple.

You recently traveled to US. Why did you not renew yr passport there itself?

I didn't have time. I was only home for 3 days and the week prior I was a bridesmaid for a wedding.

Why DNI ?
The embassy website says "Government official ID". It didn't have to be the DNI, it could have been US government official ID or AR government official ID. I didn't know, so I took both. :)

Thanks, everyone for your help! You're all right, it was very simple.

I got everything taken care of and will be receiving my passports in the mail in a few days. It was all very simple really. DHL waybill in Belgrano, no appointment necessary and I went in the morning. There was no line or waiting. I paid almost 300 pesos for the waybill, signed some paperwork with my address and went on my way. My passport appointment was simple, too. I had all my documentation and more: passport application filled out, photo copy of old passport (they only want the first page), a passport picture, $110 USD that I paid via debit card, and my DNI. They didn't even ask for a photo copy of my DNI or anything else. My only complaint is that the US Embassy is one of the most hostile environments. It's worse than an airport.

Anyway, thank you all again! :)

Back