US Passport Renewal

Hello all,
I would like to mention my experience renewing my passport in October; hope this helps.
Kept checking availability online for in person appointments ,and was able to make one, three weeks out.
On the day of my appointment, I arrived at the embassy a few minutes before my scheduled time. They checked my ID, let me in and I basically was in the appointment for less than 45 minutes, and two weeks later, my passport arrived at the DHL location, right on time. Was able to track the progress of the passport with the waybill tracking number for DHL. During the whole process, everything was on time and hassle free.

Also….I would like reiterate what other contributors have mentioned:
1) If you really aren’t getting any traction in terms of actually making the appointment for your passport renewal, contact your local congressman;s office and explain the urgency. They will help you to get an appointment because months ago, before I tried for the October appointment I ended up getting, I was in touch with my congressman‘s office .(.I ended up not making the appointment at that moment due to the covid situation and my health at that point …) but I know that by in large they can and will try to help you..l
2) When you are in the appointment itself, if you have a pressing need for the passport ASAP, simply tell the person there; it’s worth trying and you have nothing to lose. I explained to the woman that I was traveling, which was true, and I received the passport exactly when she said I would.

Hello all,
I would like to mention my experience renewing my passport in October; hope this helps.
Kept checking availability online for in person appointments ,and was able to make one, three weeks out.
On the day of my appointment, I arrived at the embassy a few minutes before my scheduled time. They checked my ID, let me in and I basically was in the appointment for less than 45 minutes, and two weeks later, my passport arrived at the DHL location, right on time. Was able to track the progress of the passport with the waybill tracking number for DHL. During the whole process, everything was on time and hassle free.

What on earth did they want you to do that took 45 minutes? I mean, here I am, here's my expiring passport, get me a new one.,..

What on earth did they want you to do that took 45 minutes? I mean, here I am, here's my expiring passport, get me a new one.,..
I showed my documents … the woman took my documents … I was told to wait.,, .. then I paid … had to wait a few minutes after that….then waited a bit longer …and was given all my documents back.. it probably took closer to 35 minutes and not 45 minutes in total…

What documents did they ask you for, aside from your expired passport?

What documents did they ask you for, aside from your expired passport?
Hi, Good morning,
I brought my expiring passport, my still current D.L., notarized birth certificate, and of course my social, which like everyone else, I know by heart and didn’t need to show a card or anything They were very professional and on time for the appointment as I said earlier. Was like a dream. What takes time is that after they initially take your documents, they are clearly authenticating them and then copying them while you wait there. No complaints here about the process. Small price to pay for getting it within two weeks. Getting an appointment for the same day service back in the states is a complete game of whack a mole due to the Covid situation… even with two weeks in advance, and proof of a international ticket within three days of the flight , almost impossible to get a emergency in person travel appointment along the Eastern Seaboard… this way is better and less stressful and I highly recommend it….

What about the passport photo???.Last time I had it done there was a guy with van parked across the street from the embassy.
I could probably do it myself at home with a white background. Has anyone try to submit a digital passport photo ?.

Thanks a lot for bringing this up… I can’t believe that I forgot to mention a passport photo …
Yes you have to bring two …
As far as I know they do not accept them in digital form….
Thanks for asking about this…and again, apologies for not bringing it up before as I had totally forgotten it as an essential part of the application..,
Remember, it needs to have a white background..

Many photo shops take passport pics in Recoleta , ask for US passport shots . Foto Printer Larrea 1086, almost corner of Santa Fe Ave.

Back