Us Resident Not Allowed To Board Flight.

mayra_seattle

Registered
A friend of mine, came to visit for a month or so, she is a resident of the United States. Before coming, she renewed her green card and was given a paper that gave her permission to travel and re enter the country. When it was time to go back however, the airline (aeromexico) would not allow her to board because they wouldnt accept the document. She ended up losing her flight. She went to the US embassy to ask if there was a problem with the document and was told that no airline can deny her to re enter the country, the embassy gave her a document to present to the airline and they still wouldnt allow her to board. Now, she has lost two flights and is also facing a fee from the airline for missing the flight.

If anyone knows of what to do in a situation like this please let me know, thought Id ask here. Thanks!

That's amazing ! I never knew that an airline had more power than a country's embassey.
Has she talked with and shown the documents to American, Delta and United? She should get a statement in writing from aeromexico,She should sue them for the cost of the airline ticket that she bought from the other airline, as well as for the aggrigation that they caused.
A year ago, the counter agent to SFO made such a big deal about the Repropsity ( sorry,I don't know how to spell the word. A visa by any other name is a visa) nonsense, that was no longer in effect, that I almost missed my flight.
If you don't think that these airline people don't get bonuses for this "work" and think that they will be rewarded with a promotion, think again.

The person at the checkin counter at EZE probably works for a contracting company and not for aeromexico. Regadless, the airline would probably still be at fault.

1. A “Green Card” is not a passport.

2. A “Green Card” is not citizenship.

3. The person should be traveling with a Passport from the country they were born in.

4 . The person was trying to enter MEXICO not the U.S.A.

The airlines are required to check visa and passport, otherwise there will be fine on them.
The airlines are not supposed to make the US immigration decisions for US border control.
This person seems not to have complete travel document. (If you are a citizen of Mexico and try to enter US from a Mexico/US border town by walking or taking a bus,
a us green card is enough. At airport, you need complete passport and green card)

I was once refused to check-in for a TAM flight from Ezeiza to Sao Paulo by the female agent. Hang on a minute I said, I'll have you know I'm British and as a Brit I don't need a visa for Brasil not that it matters anyway as the ticket says my destination is London so I won't be entering Brasil anyway. That's all well and good she said but I need proof that you had the right to be in Argentina for the last 12 months. Well what a carry on...my wife and I had to go to the immigration office at the airport and get them to print out proof that I had permanent residency here.
No idea if she was right or wrong and it was before I got my DNI but it certainly came as a bit of a shock to me.

To "UK Man", Noesdeayer and everyone who can hear me,
Wouldn't it be best to just avoid going to Brazil? I don't think that I'd even want to change planes,there. I have painted out Brazil on my globe.

To "UK Man", Noesdeayer and everyone who can hear me,
Wouldn't it be best to just avoid going to Brazil? I don't think that I'd even want to change planes,there. I have painted out Brazil on my globe.

So did you just stretch Uruguay till it hit the Colombia, Venezuela, and Peru borders? They'd probably like that.

Ed Larsono, what a pleasure. I remembered your first name, but not your last name. I knew that Larsono is Italian, but I couldn/t think of the name.
I'm now John Doe, formerly known as "Fred Mertz de Coffee Chat".

Start packing, it's getting warmer in BA. The weather,today, is glorious !

You can have Uruguay. I'm heading to Thailand and Myanmar on Wednesday

Back