Usa Passport Obtaining Brazilian Tourist Visa Recently

I got a Brazillian Visa in the US back in 2008 (which I, sadly, was not able to use) and while it is an actual Visa unlike the reciprocity fee for Argentina, I do remember looking at the visa fees for every country, and there was a separate column for US that was entitled "reciprocity fee". I only mention this because I thought it was hilarious that they sort of called out the US for being jerks in this way, instead of just including the higher fee in the column for visa fees.

I like call it for what it really is: a retaliation fee. That said, the hoops that Argentines, Uruguayans and others need to jump through to get a US visa is disgraceful. If you live in Ushuaia, you need to take time and money come to Buenos Aires for a token consular interview. Chile will soon qualify for the US Visa Waiver program, which will eliminate the retaliation fee there.

I like call it for what it really is: a retaliation fee. That said, the hoops that Argentines, Uruguayans and others need to jump through to get a US visa is disgraceful. If you live in Ushuaia, you need to take time and money come to Buenos Aires for a token consular interview. Chile will soon qualify for the US Visa Waiver program, which will eliminate the retaliation fee there.

Oh, it absolutely is a retaliation fee. And one of my BA coworkers just last week was applying for a visa just to go to the US on a trip for a few days, and i watched him filling out his paperwork (well, just the initial paperwork to apply for the in-person interview) and was SHOCKED. It's offensive, really. Also kind of pointless/ridiculous. Like if you were really ever involved in human trafficking, are you ever going to admit that on a Visa screening for?

Oh, it absolutely is a retaliation fee. And one of my BA coworkers just last week was applying for a visa just to go to the US on a trip for a few days, and i watched him filling out his paperwork (well, just the initial paperwork to apply for the in-person interview) and was SHOCKED. It's offensive, really. Also kind of pointless/ridiculous. Like if you were really ever involved in human trafficking, are you ever going to admit that on a Visa screening for?

It's an embarrassment for the US, and also effects both countries negatively. Many more visitors would like to come to the US, and would contribute to prosperity there, but our xenophobic fringe does not approve. Meanwhile, in Argentina (and elsewhere), the retaliation fee keeps some from coming (adding US$600 to vacation costs for a family of four), and appropriates money that would otherwise go directly to tourist services. It also discourages budget backpackers (the travelers of the future, who might return as affluent professionals).

I am under the impression the visa lasts as long as the current passport is valid. I am from the USA. There is no expiry date on the visa I obtained in 2011. I obtained the visa while in Argentina.

The Brazilian Visa these days looks like this (not me, found on Google):
201201_Brasil_Visa.jpg

In fine print, "Visto Válido por 10 anos a partir da data da concessão" -- "Visa valid for 10 years, beginning on the date issued"

Brazil allows tourists to stay for a max of 180 days per year. More than that, you'll start getting fined. I think the max is something like 800 reais...

In theory, they give 10-year visas, but this really depends upon the consulate. Here in Buenos Aires, I have never managed to get a visa for longer than 90 days. I'm starting to wonder if it's my old passport, which was issued in 2006 and is far different from the new ones issued after 2007, I believe.

My passport does not say 10 years. Perhaps I have a wrong idea on how long it will last however it does say each visit will last only 90 days and I am allowed multiple entries. There is no stipulation on a final date at all. It does say it is not valid for work or study. I am sure they realized I was not about to be going to Brazil for those reasons. My real picture here on baexpats looks better than the mug shot on the visa. Walter

My Brazil visa, issued in 2011 in Buenos Aires in my American passport that I've had since I was a minor in 2004, looks like the one Bradly posted. I can stay in Brazil 90 days at a time, then leave and come back for 90 more days in the same year (180 days total spread out however as long as I don't stay past 90 days at once). It's valid for 10 years. Had I applied a few weeks earlier, I would have gotten a visa for 90 days, period. The rules had just changed in my favor. I am picking up my new passport next week and the woman at the U.S. embassy where I am told me that if I go back to Brazil or Argentina, I have to travel with both passports. No cut and paste jobs allowed, unfortunately.

If you are working en negro, just don't say anything when you apply. They looked at my U.S. bank statement but not the flight reservation. It was a really easy process.

The people you meet here in BA can be of all sorts and can be of all sorts to different people within the same line too. You can see I am not a young character. In front of me.. people were told to get bus tickets and provide their bank statements too. others were told you needed to register on line and not to show up here without the print out from that process; I showed up not knowing anything; I kept hearing you need your bank statements; your bus tickets; your reservations and the like too; my younger Asian friend said to the lady does it look like my friend is planning to work in Brazil or stay a long time too .. doesn't he look like he has a bank account if he has come this far. My Asian friend did not need a visa at all.. She took a brief look at one of my credit cards.. then told me to go to a local travel agency to get a reservation on a plane and at a hotel and to make sure I am back in 90 minutes as the office will close in a day or two for the Christmas Holidays. She was very sweet but not to the people after me at all ... We did as she told me to do.. the local agency hoped I would give them business later on and we did so too not once but at a later date too. It is not far from the Brazil Office. We returned within the hour.. the paperwork was processed -- said return the next day to pick up the passport.. they were so busy the stamp was not applied so the lady spent some time in the back room to make sure it was adhered properly to my passport. Maybe it is for the life of the passport ..maybe not.. I do not know for sure.. I do wish to return to see some places missed last time .. I know I will see more there in the not too distant future too. What to take from this article: plan ahead ( I cannot get rid of the underline) get a bus ticket; hotel reservation; bank statement - be KOOL - friendly - show credit cards -- ask for alternatives.. Say the old guy sent you.. just kidding.. all my best.. Walter

Well folks if the useless congress would get off it's lazy and combative ass there is an immigration bill to be signed. Attached to that bill is a special provision [it's called JUMP or JOG on something like similar] that will remove all of the current restrictions that the US currently places on Latin Americian tourists. Looks like this and the logic is sound and it is good economics. http://americasquarterly.org/content/immigration-reform-latin-american-tourists-come-spend-not-stay
Xtina will then need to remove her little retaliation fee. But then it's become pretty hard for Argentines to get past the AFIP nazi.

Hi everyone!

When I went to pick up my visa this past week, the two people ahead of me got turned away for not having the correct paperwork. The first woman was turned away for not having a ticket out of Brazil. She tried to explain that she and her boyfriend were travelling on a bus, but the consulate lady told her she needed a printed out ticket before she could accept her paperwork. The woman also did not have a bank statement and when she offered to pull it up on her phone, the lady again told her she needed it printed out. The man after her was also turned away for not having a ticket out of the country. Perhaps it really depends on who you are dealing with and what kind of day they are having.

If there are any Canadians reading this, we get a visa for 5 years for $446 pesos (Im in BA on a tourist visa, no dni).

Back