"USA Run"

TheDonald

Registered
I see a lot of posts which include the phrase "Uruguay run."

I lived in Buenos Aires many years ago. At that time, many foreigners stayed 89 days in Buenos Aires then went to Colonia or Montevideo for the day and returned.

I am considering moving back to BA and am wondering how I will manage the visa issue.

Can I make repeated "USA runs?" Can I live in Buenos Aires and travel back to the USA for 2 weeks, then return to Argentina and get another 90 days?

Can I do this over and over again? It sounds like this is not the case anymore. Thanks.

PS. Yes, I have searched the threads.

I did that for some years before I received my residency and had reasonable success. Mind you this was some years ago and I would imagine things may be quite different now.

This was recently posted in another thread:

Hi guys.

A general note on this (tourist visa renewals) as I recently renewed my tourist visa at Dirección Nacional De Migraciones and asked a bunch of questions while there.

Firstly, the lady there said that if you leave Argentina and come back during your first 3 months that that is fine (absolutely no problem) and you can stay a further 3 months. After these 6 months you have to do a visa extension which would allow you to stay for a further 3 months, giving you a maximum total of 9 months (the now costs 2500 pesos).

If you stay for 3 months and then renew your visa for a further 3 months that's your other option which would give you a maximum of 6 months. If you've already paid for your visa extension you cannot leave the country and come back to get a further 3 months.

So at this point in time your best bet is the former, rather than the latter..

Prior to reading this post I did not think it was possible to get a 90 day prorroga (extension) after making a visa run to Uruguay to get a new 90 day visa.

I wonder if what the lady at migraciones told marko is actual an official policy of migraciones or was just an idea expressed by an individual who works there as Dr. Rubliar recently posted "there are no rules."

I also wonder if that's still the case...and if it would be "unwise" to go to migraciones to ask for the prorroga after making a visa run as suggested.

If you are there they can arrest you without a warrant.

On what grounds could migraciones arrest someone who is the holder of a still valid 90 day tourist visa obtained after leaving and reentering Argentina prior to the expiration of the first 90 day tourist visa.

PS: If they could do that wouldn't it mean the employee who suggested that the foreigner get a 90 day prorroga after making a "visa run"to get a new 90 days visa was either ignorant of actual policy or just making it up?

Last edited:
Yes, many people do this. Like anything someone could deny you entry if they see a pattern, but it very rarely happens.

Yes, many people do this. Like anything someone could deny you entry if they see a pattern, but it very rarely happens.

I remember only one post by one member who reported he were told "this is the last time" when returning form a visa run to Uruguay, but I don't recall anyone posting that they were denied reentry.

Several years ago (at least) someone got a habilitacion de salida (ten day notice to leave the country) upon reentry, but that was because the border agent couldn't override a prorroga de permanencia issued at migraciones.

As far as I know, the only time that a member of this forum was denied reentry at EZE was because he had not paid the overstay fee prior to his previous departure.

I wonder how many North Americans, Europeans, Brits, and/or Australians have actually been arrested and detained for deportation by migraciones for having an expired tourist visa, especially since the inception of the DNU 70/2017.

I've just pulled out the thread "I was denied entry at Ezeiza" started by smirkypants in Sept 2014. He was returned to JFK because, he said, he had too many entry stamps in his passport. I've only read the first page (out of 17 (TL-DR!!!)) So there might be more there if anyone else wants to plough through.

I've just pulled out the thread "I was denied entry at Ezeiza" started by smirkypants in Sept 2014. He was returned to JFK because, he said, he had too many entry stamps in his passport. I've only read the first page (out of 17 (TL-DR!!!)) So there might be more there if anyone else wants to plough through.

You are correct. Here is the thread about another member being told he could not reenter on a tourist visa for not having paid the overstay fee prior to departure at EZE:

https://baexpats.org/threads/how-can-i-get-back-in-the-country-please-help.28697/

He was not actually denied reentry.

Last edited:
Back