Using a credit card from overseas

kels

Registered
I was thinking about using my credit card to buy a few higher priced items but I believe there is an extra percentage added on here? Is this correct?

Also, has anyone had any problems using their cards from home here?

Thanks!

The only problem I have had is that they expect you to pay "Quatro Cuotas" you tell them you cannot as "tarjeta extranjera" and it all gets very confusing.
Still as long as you have your passport number, they will accept it.

One of my US credit cards charges a 3% foreign-use fee, and the other just 1%. No problems using either one, even in the boondocks.

Capital One, no foreign exchange fees. It is hard to believe in this new and improved credit card world.

dennisr said:
Capital One, no foreign exchange fees....

That may be true of US issued Capital One cards: it's not so with UK issued Capital One cards which are jolly expensive for overseas transactions and almost usurous for cash withdrawals.

elhombresinnombre said:
That may be true of US issued Capital One cards: it's not so with UK issued Capital One cards which are jolly expensive for overseas transactions and almost usurous for cash withdrawals.

Sorry mate, should have clarified. US issued Capital One.

Also remember to put your accounts on travel notification! Otherwise charges might get denied. You can also ask when you call if there's any way for them to reduce the foreign transaction charge... sometimes the 3% can become 1 if you're persuasive enough.

Also always carry a form of photo ID - a copy of your passport is fine - or else stores won't let you use your card.

Back