Using local cards for making reservations etc.

qpaso

Registered
Hey, now that debit card purchases abroad and online purchases from foreign websites will also be charged with a 15 percent additional expense as well as the credit cards, I have a question:

If you book at a local travel agency for say a hotel in Miami will you be exempt from the 15% tax?

I mean if you try a ´local website´ like despegar.com.ar or asetej and get the price in pesos you should be okay right? I can pay cash at the hotel when I check out but obviously I am trying to avoid parting with my precious us$ and want to burn my $ at every opportunity!

Just seeing if anyone has made a booking lately using arg credit/debit cards
Thanks!

Don't know,I am thinking of going to Uruguay and paying the ferry by debit card banco macro,so suppose the best thing is to ask the bank?

Don't know,I am thinking of going to Uruguay and paying the ferry by debit card banco macro,so suppose the best thing is to ask the bank?

In my experience, when new financial restrictions kick in (which seems to happen practically on a daily basis now), the bank is the last to know how it works...

I just thought I would put it out there. It sounds so simple but no-one can give you an honest answer as things change almost daily. The only way is to try and well the next month see if you get stung or not.

I think it´s worth the risk as 15% for booking things here now (in pesos) is better than using up us$. I will check with the agencies that the payment goes through the local office so hopefully no fee! Then the fun with AFIP starts...

Back