Vanishing Starbucks

on the brink

Registered
I've noticed that several Starbucks stores have vanished: a very active one in Martinez, one in Nuñez, and two more in Palermo.

Does anyone know what's going on? Has it priced itself out of the market?

Or is it that Starbucks finds those pesos it earns not worth the trouble. If so, that would be reminiscent of the airline companies pulling out of Venezuela. Let's hope not. (you can only charge so much for coffee)

Starbucks plans to expand to 220 stores in Argentina by the end of 2020, from the 130 stores operating in 2018. As indicated by the Alsea Group.

Alsea opera unas 900 tiendas Starbucks en cinco países: México (645), Colombia (24), Chile (107), Uruguay (1) y la Argentina (130). (data from 2018)

Starbucks plans to expand to 220 stores in Argentina by the end of 2020, from the 130 stores operating in 2018. As indicated by the Alsea Group.

Alsea opera unas 900 tiendas Starbucks en cinco países: México (645), Colombia (24), Chile (107), Uruguay (1) y la Argentina (130). (data from 2018)

Overpriced, bitter coffee....I even turn down offers from people wanting to buy me coffee at SB. It simply isn't worth it.

Overpriced, bitter coffee....I even turn down offers from people wanting to buy me coffee at SB. It simply isn't worth it.
If everyone would prefer SB, we could never get in?

A lot changed since the article came out, like a new government, currency controls and higher taxes. Starbucks may have changed plans because of a different economic perspective.

Alsea, a Mexican firm with extensive experience in South America, including Argentina, runs the Starbucks here. Not Starbucks Corporate, in Seattle. They also run the Burger Kings here as well. My guess is the two that closed were poor performing locations, but the Mexicans dont seem to have any plans to leave Argentina, either with their Starbucks, or their Burger King franchises.
I dont drink coffee, so I have never really been to a Starbucks. But the ones near me are always pretty full.

My guess is the two that closed were poor performing locations....

The one on Libertador, in Martinez, was always full, but the one on Libertador in Nuñez was pretty dismal. Don't know about the others - a friend told me about them.

Back