Vanishing Starbucks

My point isn't that Starbucks is good or bad... It's normal for some people to like X and others not like X. I've just noticed that people seem to be proud of the fact that they hate Starbucks. They'll let you know first chance they get. Not to pick on you wineguy, but to demonstrate, I searched for threads containing "espresso" written by you, and you've told this story 6 or 7 times here:

It's just a thing I've noticed.. people love to hate Starbucks.

BTW I ordered an iced latte at Havanna once and they didn't know what it was. I don't hate them, I just go to Starbucks because they know what iced coffee is.

Not at all ashamed of the repetition on my part - I think it's a tale that bears repeating, simply to illustrate a point. If a coffee shop cares so little about coffee...

Starbucks is closing shops down in underperforming areas. They closed something like 150 in the US last year, including a 24h bonkers busy one on Powell Street in SF, near the cable car turnaround. It seems that higher minimum wages and escalating rents are hitting their bottom line in certain sub-markets.

That said, if they're pulling out of Buenos Aires, my guess is that it's a supply chain issue - can't make it work at local costs/rents (inflation, import and export tariffs, unpredictable demand) with the supply chain they built.

I have hated Starbucks for a long time.
I pretty much dislike all chain stores,though.
Here, or in the USA, or, really, anywhere, I prefer to shop in owner operated small businesses.

But also, I grew up in Seattle, where the original Starbucks was a small owner operated business, that sold coffee beans and smelled great, in the Pike Place Market.
Now, its a soulless global brand with its "experience" optimised to offend no one. Everything real about the original has been sucked out and discarded.
I hate seeing nice older bar notables here become a Starbucks.
But hey- I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, so I am hardly the target audience.

One of the reasons I bought a place in BA in 2007 was that there were no Starbucks.
Then, much to my dismay, the first one opened a block from my house.
I am happy that one (alto palermo) is closing.

I have hated Starbucks for a long time.
I pretty much dislike all chain stores,though.
Here, or in the USA, or, really, anywhere, I prefer to shop in owner operated small businesses.

But also, I grew up in Seattle, where the original Starbucks was a small owner operated business, that sold coffee beans and smelled great, in the Pike Place Market.
Now, its a soulless global brand with its "experience" optimised to offend no one. Everything real about the original has been sucked out and discarded.
I hate seeing nice older bar notables here become a Starbucks.
But hey- I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, so I am hardly the target audience.

One of the reasons I bought a place in BA in 2007 was that there were no Starbucks.
Then, much to my dismay, the first one opened a block from my house.
I am happy that one (alto palermo) is closing.
I was so excited to see one of the McDonalds closed and replaced by local burger chain Williamsburg. And they've opened an All Saints coffee kiosk inside to sate the coffee void left when Starbucks Alto Palermo folded next door. I'd like to see more of this also. Smaller, local companies dominating the market. They have a better product for the peso and typically a more excited and educated staff. Not to say they won't become larger corporations some day but at least, for now...they're far more exciting than McDonald's and Starbucks.

Going back in time, for years Denny's was the only chain serving coffee in a cup, complete with its saucer. This provided a place to rest the spoon after stirring the coffee, so we favored Denny's.

Alas, no more saucers now. Coffee comes in mugs - nowhere to rest a wet spoon.

I, for one, mourn the passing of the saucer......!

Going back in time, for years Denny's was the only chain serving coffee in a cup, complete with its saucer. This provided a place to rest the spoon after stirring the coffee, so we favored Denny's.

Alas, no more saucers now. Coffee comes in mugs - nowhere to rest a wet spoon.

I, for one, mourn the passing of the saucer.
I just had a coffee in a local cafe. Saucer included.

Back