Vegan In Buneos Aires?

paulpaez

Registered
I know.

But despite being a first generation Argentine who grew up with steak for lunch and dinner, I've adopted a vegan, plant-based diet for more than a year and next week, I'm traveling to Buenos Aires with my son.

I'm sure I'll eat a lot of salads, but if on the off chance there is a local Vegan community and outlets, I'd appreciate learning bout them....

Thanks!

Vegetable stores everywhere, I'm sure you won't go hungry.
Nancy

Hi Paul,

There are several vegetarian restaurants in Buenos Aires that have multiple vegan options. One that I like is:

http://www.biorestaurant.com.ar/

There is another on Goritti between Fitzroy and Bonpland, but I don't remember the name.

For non-restaurant sustenance, dieteticas will be your best friend, but if you adhere to a strict vegan diet you will have to ask to find purely vegan products. For example, most of the "caldo de vegetales" sold in dieteticas isn't vegan.

There is a macro bioTic raw food place on cuidad de la paz

http://lacasadeohsawa.com.ar/

Am not vegetarian vegan but we are trying limit our meat consumption so I keep an eye out for these places.

Hi paulpaez,

I am vegan and I have been in BA for a few months, so I may be able to assist.

Which area will you be staying in while you are here?

As mentioned by sleslie23 there is Bio, which is based in Palermo (uses some organic ingredients and serves vegan, vegetarian and raw food). Palermo also has Kensho (solely vegan, and offers raw) and Buenos Aires Verde (vegetarian, vegan with raw options), which are all good for vegan folks.

There is a sweet place in San Telmo called Vita that is vegan, and a large place called Picnic which is vegetarian, but I believe it offers vegan options.

I have not done a lot of investigation in regards to vegan prepared foods, so I cannot offer a lot of help in that area, but there are a range or fresh food vendors around the place if you are looking to prepare your own. There are also a couple of markets, one also in Palermo, but the opening days are a little erratic.

There is more information on this guide:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203642075677601742005.0004b689c4b641cc044bf&msa=0

Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,
jj

For my education went to Wiki to learn about the Vegan Movement, below are the items to be avoided by Ethical Vegans, If large number of people turn Vegans in the world it would threaten world economy and stability...? The 1930's crisis would be like Sunday School.

All cosmetic manufacturers that use lanolin as a base would see their sales dwindle, Cattle feed producers would see their sales go down with less cattle consumption , fishing fleets would lay idle, leather products sales down the drain!! Pastry manufacturers that use butter lard and eggs would go bankrupt.

Cattle farmers would let the cows run loose since not economical to feed, milk dumped on the roads, UNEMPLOYMENT GALORE? On the high side Lower Health expenditures by the State,

Avoidance

Further information: Animal product and Rendering (food processing)

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]

Lard from pigs​
[/background]​

Ethical vegans entirely reject the commodification of animals. The Vegan Society in the UK will only certify a product as vegan if it is free of animal involvement as far as possible and practical, including animal testing.[sup][52][/sup]

An animal product is any material derived from animals, including meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, honey, fur, leather, wool, and silk. Other commonly used, but perhaps less well-known, animal products are beeswax,bone char, bone china, carmine, casein, cochineal, gelatin, isinglass, lanolin,lard, rennet, shellac, tallow, whey, and yellow grease. Many of these may not be identified in the list of ingredients in the finished product.[sup][53][/sup]

Ethical vegans will not use animal products for clothing, toiletries, or any other reason, and will try to avoid ingredients that have been tested on animals. They will not buy fur coats, cars with leather in them, leather shoes, belts, bags, wallets, woollen jumpers, silk scarves, camera film, bedding that contains goose down or duck feathers, and will not use certain vaccines; the production of the flu vaccine, for example, involves the use of chicken eggs. Depending on their economic circumstances, vegans may donate items made from animal products to charity when they become vegan, or use them until they wear out. Clothing made without animal products is widely available in stores and online. Alternatives to wool include acrylic, cotton, hemp, rayon and polyester. Some vegan clothes, in particular shoes and leather alternatives, are made of petroleum-based products, which has triggered criticism because of the environmental damage associated with production.[sup][54][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism

Funny about the Wikipedia article that if everyone turned vegan it would wreck the economy (yeah, i switched the words a bit). Obviously it was written by some publicist for the beef industry! :p I am vegan but it has nothing to do with all that animal stuff. You can have leather shoes if you want, as far as I am conerned. I had a diagnosis of cancer 14 years ago, decided I didn't want to lose any organs, so I decided to try alternative and it worked. Part of the program was elimination of all animal products. Cancer patients don't do well with animal protein. But thanks for all the hints, I'm going to look up the biorestaurant.

I assume you'll be eating out but if you were cooking (or not cooking as in my case) there are some fantastic organic companies that deliver to your door!

Happy Cow has a good list of vegan restaurants in BsAs:
http://www.happycow.net/disp_results_address.php?distance=15&lat=-34.6085&lon=-58.3735&list[]=vegan&list[]=vegetarian&list[]=friendly&list[]=store&sortby=0&kw=

My favorite is Spring Restaurant (Chinese-style buffet) but there are many options depending on what neighborhood you're in.

Most restaurants won't have any vegan options, many won't have a vegetarian option either. Be sure to check the menu before you sit down!

Back