Vegetarian-friendly alfajores?

julia_en_ruta

Registered
I should have thought of this earlier, but I didn't realize until today how many alfajores are made with beef fat. Does anyone know of good places to get vegetarian-friendly ones? They don't have to be vegan, dairy/eggs/honey are OK.

As far as the bigger brands of packaged ones go, it seems like Cachafaz is the main one? Bon o Bon's, Tofi's, or Águila's might be OK as well? But I'd also travel far and wide to get them from a bakery if I knew the place made them without grasa vacuna.

Last edited:
I mean, making them at home you certainly don't have to use beef fat, but once I knew to start looking for it, it seems pretty common in commercially-prepared ones to have cookies made with it.

In case this is ever useful to someone else -- Havanna alfajores are kosher-dairy (as is Cachafaz) and therefore beef-free, and at least one type of Mamuschka alfajores (almond) are as well.

Any keto alfajores out there? When I was in Paraguay I found they had a brand, Madelina, made with almond flour, but I haven't seen anything like that here in Buenos Aires.

If you go to dieteticas you can find more options without beef fat than what you can find in Kioskos... if not I would check out bakeries near you, they dont use beef fat in most cases.

Back