Velez-San Lorenzo

jaredwb

Registered
Not too much more can be said...sad reflection on Argentina society today:(

jaredwb said:
Not too much more can be said...sad reflection on Argentina society today:(
yes it is.I just sat down to watch a potentially good game and those tossers did that.Kicked off in Rosario too,Newells OB fans rioting:cool:

Whilst I am as passionate about my sport as anyone, I never could understand the mentality of this sort of behaviour when it comes to "Supporting" my team. As a teenager I attended games every week in England, when hooliganism there was at it's peak - My friends and I, all lads who enjoyed a pint, could talk football till we were hoarse, wnet out of our way to avoid the hooligam element, be they from visiting thugs, or ones who were allegedly "fans" of my own team, and tried to enjoy the beautiful game.

No doubt, this will be reported as Police brutality in some quarters, and I do not wish to speal ill of the dead man, who may have been simply caught up in everything, but, it wasn't the police that threw a missile at the goalkeeper, or tore down the wire to get at the "animals" on the other side of the cage - I don't envy the police having to deal with this kind of neanderthal behaviour.

I'll stick to watching rugby - where the aggression takes place on the pitch....

Liam3494 said:
Whilst I am as passionate about my sport as anyone, I never could understand the mentality of this sort of behaviour when it comes to "Supporting" my team. As a teenager I attended games every week in England, when hooliganism there was at it's peak - My friends and I, all lads who enjoyed a pint, could talk football till we were hoarse, wnet out of our way to avoid the hooligam element, be they from visiting thugs, or ones who were allegedly "fans" of my own team, and tried to enjoy the beautiful game.

No doubt, this will be reported as Police brutality in some quarters, and I do not wish to speal ill of the dead man, who may have been simply caught up in everything, but, it wasn't the police that threw a missile at the goalkeeper, or tore down the wire to get at the "animals" on the other side of the cage - I don't envy the police having to deal with this kind of neanderthal behaviour.

I'll stick to watching rugby - where the aggression takes place on the pitch....

Familiar with stories of the England hooligan element but not familiar with fatalities resulting from those member´s actions. Has there been this kind of disaster in the UK?

I was there at the stadium today. A stupid minority ruining what would have been a great game. The UK had Hillsborough in 1986. Everything changed after that. The Argentinian FA need to wake up. You treat people like animals, they behave like animals. But then again, some people are just dickheads.

As long as barra bravas are virtually running the clubs, this isnt going to change. Its about time the clubs transform from asociaciones (with elections) to SA's (being companies).

senorsuitcase said:
I was there at the stadium today. A stupid minority ruining what would have been a great game. The UK had Hillsborough in 1986. Everything changed after that. The Argentinian FA need to wake up. You treat people like animals, they behave like animals. But then again, some people are just dickheads.

Agree about the dickheads, but not about Hillsborough. That was not caused by hooliganism, but by pathetic policing and an inadequate ground for a Cup semi Final.

Having said that, yes there have been incidents of people dying at football matches in Europe where hooliganism has been the cause- Heysel springs to mind, where a stampede caused by fan rivalry led to a wall collapsing and people dying. If my memory serves me right, there were incidents in Holland too, between Feynoord and Ajax fans were deaths occurred, and I certainly recall not so many years ago, fans in Italy dying at a match.

In England, the hooliganism issues seem to have gone away, in the main, certainly in the Premier League. A lot to do with All Seater Grounds, and maybe even something to do with the economics of it all, as it's expensive to get to games. Certainly the Argentine FA needs to review the whole situation, as the only games I have been too, have been marred with antagonism, if not outright violence, and tales told to me by fellow ex-pats of a recent game between Tigre and River were more about the stoning of a train and hiding from the rival fans, than the football.

I was also at the game today, my first experience with Argentine soccer. I have never seen the level of passion that both teams' supporters showed up until the game was stopped. It is tragic that the passion turned to violence so quickly.

It seemed to me, even from the beginning, that the game was always going to be secondary to what was going on in the stands. There was an air of hatred and violence to the chants, and the start of the game was actually delayed a few minutes, as the Velez fans kept throwing rolls of toilet paper onto the field.

The San Lorenzo goalie was defending the goal in front of the Velez popular section, and he was hit in the shoulder by one of these small rolls of toilet paper. He dropped to the ground and clutched his shoulder like he was seriously injured. I wish he had not reacted the way he did...being hit may have surprised him, but it could not have hurt. This is what caused the San Lorenzo fans to start tearing down the fence and one even managed to climb it and run onto the field (I think).

Anyway, my advice for anyone going to a soccer game in the future is to wait in the stadium as long as possible before you leave. The police actually do not let the home fans leave until all the visiting fans are well clear of the stadium. Today, I had to wait about 45 minutes after the game had been canceled before leaving. Honestly, I never felt unsafe and only learned the full extent of what happened when I got home.

Besides the ugliness of today, I would definitely recommend Velez as an alternative to the big teams. It's easy to get to, though a long ride on the 166 bus, which takes you along Juan B. Justo, and the Popular is very comfortable and safe if you sit on the sides. There were lots of families with young children in those areas. And it only costs 40 pesos. Probably better to avoid any San Lorenzo games there, although those games may be played at a neutral site or without away fans in the future.

It's neither an Argentinian nor a new phenomenon.

In Constantinople, two chariot racing factions, the Blues and the Greens, were involved in the Nika riots which lasted around a week in the year 532. Nearly half the city was burned or destroyed in addition to tens of thousands of deaths.

The Heysel Stadium disaster occurred on 29 May 1985 when a masonry wall failed then collapsed under the pressure of escaping fans in the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium, as a result of rioting before the start of the 1985 European Cup Final between Liverpool of England and Juventus of Italy. 39 people died, 32 of them Juventus fans, and 600 were injured.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster

- and who doesn't remember the football war fought by El Salvador and Honduras in 1969?

Back