Venezuela - Let us discuss it.

Hah! This thread could be useful for people thinking of heading to Argentina for the first time in that they can witness a bit of the Argentine mindset before they get there (and maybe think twice about whether they want to deal with it).

I wrote in another thread that anyone heading to Argentina should expect a lot of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

The problem in Argentina is not arrogance or ignorance alone; it's the way that those two qualities feed one another. I think most people don't mind a bit of arrogance when it's earned (someone who accomplishes something great is allowed to pat themselves on the back a bit) and ignorance can often be remedied through learning. When one allows themselves to fall victim to the Dunning–Kruger effect, however, they can't move forward. They arrogantly assume they know more than they do and, thus, don't learn anything new and maintain their ignorance.

That Wikipedia article mentions how studies done on East Asian subjects found the exact opposite of the Dunning–Kruger effect; they often underestimate themselves and look to continually improve. So culture plays a part. And Argentine culture, for whatever reasons, produces know-it-alls like no place else.

Imagine this for a second: an Argentine flag on the moon or on the side of a go-kart on Mars. It's almost laughable. There's no way in hell that Argentina could ever accomplish something like that. But it's not too difficult to imagine other flags up there, including Brazil's (Brazil is currently the only country in Latin America that contributes to the international space station; they are also selling Argentina an entire new fleet of Embraer jets for Aerolineas Argentinas).

With the exception of a handful of accomplishments, Argentines don't innovate. They import stuff and learn just enough to operate their foreign toys. Buenos Aires itself is a sycophantic copy of European things. The glory days of Argentina were made possible by the British who considered Argentina an informal part of their empire. They built Argentina's infrastructure and got sweetheart deals on resources in return.

Brigadier, some advice: Stop. Don't type, don't speak, don't output anything at all. Breathe. Now, acknowledge that you don't know all that much about the world. It's okay, most people don't. Accepting your own ignorance might sting a bit at first but you can't grow without doing it. Once you've completed these painful first steps, go learn! Read, study, travel, keep your eyes and ears open, have interesting conversations with foreigners, try all sorts of new things! It's a big and fascinating world. It really is. So damn amazing. Don't get stuck (physically and/or mentally) in a tiny little corner of it.

And, Lee, get the hell out of there. Stop dealing with those idiots and get yourself over to Colombia or Brazil already. ;)

People look .. this country was great and that was not by casuality, without intention to assume I am sure that we are the most competitive race in the region beyond what the economic and social realities show in these times. What I am saying is that we will remember our laurels to foreigners to know that if we could be the 5th economy and an example to the world of post war in many organizational issues is because it is in our genes, and therefore we can do it again. Here nine years ago was the worst crisis in all the times that the country had, unfortunately the life chosed to us for this shit (but hey, everyone has their time, as well as the countries of Europe were beaten to mid of last century
), and that brought social crisis and all the other things, but the countries can give up again, and thats whats making Argentina step by step
to return to what it was. Prizes novel to which I referred were only some examples for you to know that this is a great nation from the intellectual point of view (repeat beyond what the socio-economic crisis now left beyond) and also from other points of view as friendship, sociability, and solidarity, etc, etc. But of course you ever understand all to the wrong way becouse your mind its short and only talks and talks triying to offends to us without a real argument. Brazil its a Real third world shit country that has luky to have 1 man who gives hes life to fix some of all disaster there. And you forget to mentionate that the almost half of the country lives down the poor, so...1 of the reasons of good economic its becouse they only show his better half of the population.
And as for PAUPER: you are the most ignorant of all! ... (Black sand beaches?), I think before posting, you forget to take your pills, our beaches are not the best, but they are pretty good also, and the diversity of landscapes as I said is also great.
then, just take a look at these photos of the Argentina coast and shut
your mouth.

mar-plata-1.jpg

the darknes on the beach are people!!..

mar-del-plata-noche.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to mention they are horrendously crowded also.

Black sand beaches?
I said grey.

our beaches are not the best, but they are pretty good also
Your opinion, I can think of at least a dozen countries I have visited off the top of my head which have far better beaches. I'd consider a summer in Mar del Plata some form of torture.

How many international tourists do you think come here for beach holidays, do you think they would be similar figures to Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, Thailand, The Gambia, Cabo Verde, Kenya, Greece, Malaysia, Mauritius, India...?

Brigadier said:
And as for PAUPER: you are the most ignorant of all! ... (Black sand beaches?), I think before posting, you forget to take your pills, our beaches are not the best, but they are pretty good also, and the diversity of landscapes as I said is also great.
your mouth.

Black sand beaches are wonderful (at least in Hawaii).

As he just noted, pauper referred to the strips of sand to the south (aka beaches) as gray.

And when the water isn't freezing it is populated by jellyfish.

Frankly I like the wind. It helps drive off the mosquitoes and flies (sometimes all day).

If Brigadier's reply is typical, the Argentine people can claim first place for Latin American arrogance (if nothing else).

Course I'm going to reply, and is far from being out of arrogance!. I only defend the truth of blind eyes. I clearly said that the Argentine beaches are not the best, but at least we have and are good enough to vacation with them, as well as in the snow in the mountains hills when we talked about the diversity of landscapes!. That's not arrogance, it's just telling the truth without adding or taking anything as they have been doing on this board!, That's what I didnt like, and that's all, ookk???

Hey, I'm Argentine and I'm not like Brigadier and Cabrera.

Sorry, Brigadier and Cabrera (and especially Brigadier). I value your efforts to "defend" us from SSR's "attacks" ;) but even if you consider he's doing that, you're defending us the wrong way!!!!

First of all, why do you feel the need to reply whenever SSR blurts out his "darts"??? ;) You're just giving him more arguments to make fun out of you!! And what's worse, you're giving him more "evidence" to think that the typical Argentine is like you... which I DONT' think, BTW....

SSR: I know you don't like Argentina, I've read it in other threads. It's OK. I don't agree with some of your points (not all), but I now I'm a bit sleepy so maybe some other day I'll reply to them.

What I wanted to say is: Don't overgeneralize saying "Argentines this, Argentines that"... We're not all of us arrogant, really!

PS: And the beaches, what the h...? Yes, our beaches are awful, and what??? ::D

Federico, I'm not wrong, they are wrong in thinking that I'm arrogant and that all Argentines are arrogant too, just because im saying things as they really are, NO MORE, NO LESS!!!, Only the truth. If their minds are not able to note the difference between one thing and the other is their problem, not mine sorry!

Anyway, all countrys have bad and good things... u are agree?. But it was not me who began to make comparisons. were others who did, especially SSR highlighting negative things in the country that welcomed him/her, that was an ungrateful attitude, thats all.

I'm amazed how many locals can name all the Argentine winners

A lot of the French people I spoked to do not know who Francois Truffaut is.

Probably most of Americans do not know... almost nothing (starting by knowing where the US is in a map of the world).

Brazil is a great country, not so good if you are not rich. Of course people here talk about places like Panama. So it would be good if you put this phrase: "country X is better for expats" meaning good for foreigners with disposable income.

Brigadier said:
Federico, I'm not wrong, they are wrong in thinking that I'm arrogant and that all Argentines are arrogant too, just because im saying things as they really are, NO MORE, NO LESS!!!, Only the truth. If their minds are not able to note the difference between one thing and the other is their problem, not mine sorry!

Anyway, all countrys have bad and good things... u are agree?. But it was not me who began to make comparisons. were others who did, especially SSR highlighting negative things in the country that welcomed him/her, that was an ungrateful attitude, thats all.

The whole point of this thread is to help Lee find a place where he might enjoy living more than he does here, at least until he grows to hate it there, too. Of course it is legitimate and in fact necessary to make comparisons.

Telling those who have lived here for several years and dare to criticize Argentina on an expat forum to shut their mouth is arrogant. Ironically, you are the "foreigner" here (and a newcomer as well). I never said all Argentines were arrogant (as you implied). I said that if your reply is typical, the Argentine people can claim first place for Latin American arrogance (if nothing else). There's a huge difference between the two assertions. If your mind is "not able to note the difference between one thing and the other" it is your problem.

In less than 10 minutes after I was "welcomed" to Argentina I was told I had to pay a bribe of $100 dollars to the airport vet or go back where I came from. I'm still ever so grateful I was allowed to pay and stay. Unfortunately, there's no icon for the finger I would like to use here.;)

Brigadier said:
I think before posting, you forget to take your pills, our beaches are not the best, but they are pretty good also, and the diversity of landscapes as I said is also great.
your mouth.

mar-plata-1.jpg

mar-del-plata-noche.jpg

Gee, Bragadier, can't you post without being condescending or rude (if not arrogant)?

There's nothing like having a ten lane highway next to the beach is there?

This is the "end" of the beach where I lived prior to moving to Argentina:

sayulita_headinghome.jpg

Google "Sayulita" to see more...or look for the beach scenes in the movie "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" (google is better...it's an awful movie).

Back