Vent/Rant

JUST arrived today. Now I know that documents sent via US Priority Mail International take 1 month to arrive to BsAs. (crickets)

There is another possibility. I was robbed more than 5 weeks ago and still don't have my replacement cards - things are desperate! AFUIP has seized my cards, both times they were sent. They told my bank (CitiBank, my account in NYC) that they believed I was Argentine and was hiding my income in a foreign account. I am not Argentine and do not pay taxes here.

A CitiBank official actually went with me to AFIP on Friday and they asked many (mostly useless) questions and said they would investigate and get back to bank. Needless to say, there is no timeline for a response.

Citi also refuses to send money here for me because I am without any documents.

My bank says they had one other instance of this and do not know how it worked out. Other replacement cards have arrived unmolested.

I would go Uruguay and have them sent there, but no longer have the money for the boat and a hotel.

This is complete shit.

RR

Mailing things to here or from here is a crap shoot. I sent regular postcards to the children of some friends in Canada, the UK and France. They always arrive if mailed from other SouthAm countries, but from Argentina, about one half simply vanish. I have had packages arrive in 7 days from Toronto and other that were probably being enjoyed by someone at Correo Argentino.

RR

Have your tried having your card sent Fedex? I've had multiple things (credit cards, passport, etc) sent via FedEx and it arrived directly with no issue to my apt or office.

I'm trying to understand how AFIP got your card. Where did Citibank send it that it was confiscated by AFIP? Did Correo turn it over to them?

PS - Your bank in NY can send it directly to a Citibank here - presumably they would release it to you since it appears you already know a citibank person here.

I just got my new debit card last month from my bank in NYC, via FEDEX. No problem. I can't imagine anyone holding up a debit or credit card from outside of Argentina. Something else must be going on.

va2ba said:
My parents sent me a replacement card through the US post office and it got to BA in less than a week. I do not know if it was priority or not. They sealed the new visa inside of a greeting card so it just looked like someone sending a birthday card or something.
Just for the record disguising anything as a greeting card is the exact opposite of a good idea since greeting cards are thought to sometimes contain cash and are therefore targeted by postal thieves. In fact I have told my family to disguise greeting cards as regular mail!

wreReynolds said:
RR

So weird and so terrible! Do you have someone with a local bank account that you trust enough to have money put in their account and they can take it out and give to you?

wreReynolds said:

Should not you contact your national embassy in case your passport is stolen? How would you ever leave the country without documents or do something else that requires identification?

One of the advices when you visit a country like Argentina is to not carry your passport on you, but have it in a safe place where you stay. Instead you should carry a copy of your passport on you. This advice is typically given when there is a risk of theft.

toongeorges said:
Should not you contact your national embassy in case your passport is stolen? How would you ever leave the country without documents or do something else that requires identification?

One of the advices when you visit a country like Argentina is to not carry your passport on you, but have it in a safe place where you stay. Instead you should carry a copy of your passport on you. This advice is typically given when there is a risk of theft.

I THINK he means he doesn't have a legal resident status in Argentina.

Back